I Forge Iron

Mounting an Anvil

I am trying to get back into Blacksmithing after more than 20 years. I have aquired, among other things, an anvil that looks like it says Peter Wright on it and is stamped with 1 1 5, which I translate to 140 lbs. I'm looking for a way to mount it. I can't afford to dedicate space to a smithy, so it will have to share space with everything else in my garage. While it doesn't have to be on wheels, I do need to be able to drag it around. I will be cutting down an elm tree soon so I could mount in on a chunk of that. I am concerned about it being top heavy. I don't have a welder to build a metal stand.

You can still make a metal stand by drilling some holes and bolting the metal parts together, no welder needed.

There are several threads on the subject. The search engine is your friend once you figure out how to use the thing by asking the right questions.

Anvils have been traditionally mounted on stumps. I am sure part of this was because the stumps were available and inexpensive. I have seen all manner of bases for anvils, stumps, rammed earth, assembled timbers, metal, and the list continues depending on the ingenuity of the blacksmith and what materials were available. One that I use is an old grease drum filled with sand, which killed the ring of that anvil very well.

As to moving the anvil and stand, add a set of wheels to the base so they just touch the floor. On the other side, attach a couple of pieces of pipe. Slide handles into the pieces of pipe and lift to shift the weight onto the wheels. (thank Uri Hofi for that one)

If you use an elm stump, (was the wood of choice for the Old Blacksmiths) be sure to remove all the bark. Wood rots faster with the bark intact. On the bottom of the stump use a router to remove about 1/2" from the center leaving about 3/4 to 1" ring at the outer edge, this will help with remove some of the 'rock' from an uneven cut. You could also cut this edge to give 3 legs on the base. Then make your own nails to secure the anvil to the stump. You can also make loops or a ring to hang tongs and hammers on and mount this to the stump, tools at your reach.

Edited by Thomas Dean

In Otto Schmirler's book, "Werk und Werkzeug des Kunstschmieds," he talked about their shop anvils sitting in a steel box of sand. I have done this with two of my anvils. I arc welded 3/16" plate together for the boxes. The anvil is held fast by threaded rods and nuts to keep it from shifting. Two flat bars with holes either end sit on the slanted base, horn and heel sides. The rods are welded to the side of the box and go through the holes where they receive the washers and nuts. I can "walk" it around the shop.

http://www.turleyforge.com

As long as the stump is large enough it will not be a problem, I have 400lbs sitting on top of an oak log which sits on a dirt floor and it isn't top heavy at all, just make sure the dia of the log is larger than the base of the anvil, does'nt even have to be by a lot, you just don't want the feet/base of the anvil hanging over the edges.

welder19