I Forge Iron

my new forge

mite5255

Oh no!! you've got gnomes too!

i made those gnomes....i use to make garden ornaments as a hobby to sell at flea markets.....that was until the local council said i was a naughty boy for making them in my back yards and threatened me with a $3000.00 fine and $300.00 per day i continued

i made those gnomes....i use to make garden ornaments as a hobby to sell at flea markets.....that was until the local council said i was a naughty boy for making them in my back yards and threatened me with a $3000.00 fine and $300.00 per day i continued

I hope that you have since moved to a more friendly neighborhood!
Phil

Looks like a great setup, I cant wait to get my portable setup housed in a bench similar to that. I was just wondering, those blowers should put out enough air, are the holes in the bottom of your fire pot big enough?

Ian Ross

Looks like a great setup, I cant wait to get my portable setup housed in a bench similar to that. I was just wondering, those blowers should put out enough air, are the holes in the bottom of your fire pot big enough?

Ian Ross

the holes are 1/4 , i'll more then likely step up to 5/16

I would agree the air holes in the base may need drilling out to a larger diameter,

Normally we use 9 holes 3/8" diameter (minimum) on a 3" diameter pitch circle diameter, and this gives a good useful and reasonably economical fire

Edited by John B
Rephrase

mite5255,
Nice set up. I have a work table that I'm converting, I have not built my firepot yet. What is the size of the bottom plate and the size of the top opening of your firepot? Also, how deep is it? Thanks, Randy

hi randy ,the fire pot top is 12*10 inch cut at 60 deg welded together and a plate cut to suit the bottom....the sides and bottom were made out of 4 *1/4 flat

Do your edge rails come off? That might be handy at times, even if only for cleaning.

I hope that the local council have no future grief with you and your forge.

Phil

hi phil, rails are welded on , maybe i should have bolted them ......i have no doubt someone around here will make some complaint to the council...such is life

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice. I might even steal some of your design :P. You might thing about adding some firebrick. Line the sides and bottom around the air holes with half bricks - they save space but will prolong the life of the steel sides. I'd also put some on the area around the forge pot itself. Might reduce the heat transfer to the surrounding table and keep your coke contained.