I Forge Iron

Hello from the Rocky Mountain West!

agsolder

I am a totally pseudonymous and almost completely make-believe blacksmith, silversmith and general ironbodger who exists only on the Internet, not unlike Cracked Anvil, Goods Inward, Miles Undercut, Juan LeGubrious and others of that ilk who appear now and then on other smiting sites where you may have bumped into us. The key words above are almost make-believe-- like a lot of you, I do my gates, potracks, guard rails, trivets, out of that hard, hard, beautiful steel and jewelry out of silver and brass. I've been to Frank Turley's smiting academy and loved it, all several times through, and to a couple welding schools, too, etc. But like the scoundrels I mentioned, I don't take much of this too seriously. Thanks, Glenn, for allowing me in. Nice 'ere, innit?

• 2 weeks later...

Nomad, Frankw, 6013-- Muchas gracias! Much appreciate the welcoming messages! Frank-- Man, but I envy you being in Ireland! Have a Guinness for me! Or two, perhaps. Wife and I did a brisk two-week coast-to-coast drive in '98, found some lovely old gates turning to rust, some new ones echoing old styles but made of arc-welded tubing, and precious few smiths, except for the one at Crossmolina Heritage Center--who was German! My family was in and around Ballyhaunis, until the darling Brits decided sending food would damage character.

Frankw-- Two especially fine old wrought iron gates stick out in memory. One was leaning against the stone wall of an outbuilding next to the parking lot at the Heritage Center or Welcome Center in Mullingar, a plumb gorgeous old beauty, be worth thousands here. Dunno why it was off its hinges. It was pouring rain so I did not give it a microscopic exam. The other was standing across a drive on the grounds of the big estate at Westport, and it was literally crumbling, pieces of it having fallen off and lying on the ground. Some enterprising smith(s) ought to get a grant to travel the island salvaging these relics. What fabulous mortise and tenon joinery the old timers came up with to defeat gravity in the pre-arc welder era!

Hi AG.
I wonder are the gates at Westport house i must have a look the next time i am down. I have a lovely set of old forged gates i got of a lovely lady with two side gates and they are made as you described. When i uncover them i will post pic's.
Cheers Frankw

Jimmy-- thanks for the welcome. I appreciate it. I am near Santa Fe. If you get down this way, yell. FrankW-- I'd been making some gates around that time ('98), feeling guilty about zapping the corners and was interested to note the antique joinery at the corners of the old stuff. Man, those old timers had worked out all manner of fancy shoulders and tenons to handle the strain. Just beautiful work, and clearly visible on the Mullingar gate. Covered in black enamel on the Westport gate-- which despite all the thick paint was disintegrating. Another place to see such joinery is the spectacular permanent ironwork exhibit in the balcony of the Victoria & Albert Museum in London.