I Forge Iron

Decorative boat sculpture - ever seen anything like this ?

First of all, let me apologize if this is in the wrong forum, or not appropriate to ask about here. I have poked around the internet, and really struck out in finding any info about this type of metalwork.

My grandpa, who passed away many years ago, did several iron boat sculptures - a picture of one of them is attached here. The main boat structure appears to be wrought-iron, and the details are done with twisted wire that appears to be bronzed into place. The photographs don't show up very well, but it is a very detailed piece - this one is about 10" long. Some of the later models he did were larger and included floor stands, and tooled leather sails.

I'm just curious if anybody has seen anything like this before. He probably did this piece 30 to 40 years ago while on his farm in rural North Dakota. The boats were created with such focus that it seems like he must have had a model in mind - maybe he had seen somebody else do this before - otherwise I'm not sure how he would have come up with the idea...

Any thoughts would be appreciated - just curious to know if anybody still does models like this today, etc.

Thanks & best wishes !

19495.attach

19496.attach

Yep - I'd say a viking ship.

Hopefully others here can shed more light on thoughts as to what your grandpa's inspiration may have been,

No matter though, it's wonderful that you have a piece that your grandfather made!

My home is populated with turned table lamps that my grandfather made back in the 20's & 30"s - as he passed before I was born, it's a treasure and a treat for me to have something that he made as I imagine him in his workshop putting his hands to the work!

Regardles of the source of his inspiration it is a work of art that reflects something soulful and filled with life ... captures the flavor of the shipright's skill, the sea's brutality and the fine hand of an artist all at one time. A real treasure you have there. Could you please let us see some closer shots?? Thanks for sharing this wonderful work!!

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback. The ship is definitely a treasure - it has a permanent place on our mantle.

My grandparents were Norwegian, so the Viking theory fits pretty well :)

I will post a few better pictures tomorrow. It's pretty amazing work (at least to a newbie like me).

Thanks again for the comments !

30 to 40 years ago would have been about the time that Thor Heyerdahl was sailing the Ra and Ra II. While not Norse ships they were evocative of that style of vessel and were all the rage when I was a kid. National Geographic did several articles on him and his boats. Maybe that got his creative juices flowing. What ever his muse he did nice work.

Thank you for sharing the beautiful work that your grandfather did. His work really shows his passion for metal work and the ships he built. You do have something very special and if you can ask other family members about the art that your grandfather created. I don't like calling those ships work because the attention to detail shows that he really enjoyed what he was doing. A true artist.