I Forge Iron

Finally coming together

Well I have been gathering information and tools for a long time. Finally have what I need to beat some hot steel. I lined the rivet forge using Frosty's instructions in an old thread. It seemed to take forever to dry - even with the floodlight on it.

Took the picture on Friday, Saturday we get a snowstorm! I am hoping that the week between Christmas and New Years is mild and I can put it to use. I need to clean some stuff out of the shed and attach the anvil to the base - and I am ready to roll. Oh, also pictured is my favorite lawn chair.:D

19494.attach

nice setup and setting, perfect for a smithy. someone tell me again why we don't have a Mass blacksmith guild? and why we just fall under the NE blacksmith association in rhode island? There seem to be a good number of us from MA.

Thanks Mark, I had a smithy in mind when I built the shed. But for now I will be working outside. I have a barn that is 4 times as big as the shed, but it has a wooden floor. My biggest problem right now is that the sun is down way before I get home from work. The local critters seem to like it too - After taking the picture, I turned around to this on the other side of my back yard.

I would love it if there was something closer to home - seems like everything I hear about is in Northern NE. There certainly seem to be a lot of Bay Staters posting here.

19498.attach

My biggest problem right now is that the sun is down way before I get home from work. The local critters seem to like it too - After taking the picture, I turned around to this on the other side of my back yard.

What?!...Don't you have any electricity in those parts?...JK...get some flood lights, run some extension cords out there and start banging iron...

Man's creativity runs high in the twilight hours...

Dave

Mark,
New England blacksmiths covers a large area. There is a monthly meeting (Mar-Nov) in Brentwood, NH (20 minutes up route 125 from Plastow, NH. We have our own building (post and beam) with four very nice forges and lots of gear. We also have a spring and fall meet as well as a winter event at the shop of one of the professional guys.

I think there are several folks in Mass for NEB that you could contact and see if there was some place that could accommodate monthly meetings and random get togethers. Do you know of anyone with the room to handle a monthly meet?

nice setup and setting, perfect for a smithy. someone tell me again why we don't have a Mass blacksmith guild? and why we just fall under the NE blacksmith association in rhode island? There seem to be a good number of us from MA.

I was not aware that there is no a Mass chapter. I think if the people on IFI wanted to, we could start one. Meet somewhere in metrowest. Guess I'm gonna have to join to beef up the ranks.

What?!...Don't you have any electricity in those parts?...JK...get some flood lights, run some extension cords out there and start banging iron...

Man's creativity runs high in the twilight hours...

Dave

Dave,
I dun just heard about that lectrickity thing - gonna get me one!;)
Seriously, it would definitely be worth it on a warm evening that isn't snowing - just don't expect many of those for a few months. I will be happy if we get a few mild weekends this winter. I will brave the cold if we don't. The thing I am not set-up for is precipitation - no flue in the shed yet. I could rig some type of tarp out in front of it. I'll need to get planning on that. But I suspect some sort of wind shield around part of the forge should be a higher priority - been rather windy around here lately.

For me, its slothful grogginess that runs high in the evening - especially this time of year. That's why I keep finding my tired butt sitting in front of this computer so much.

no flue in the shed yet. I could rig some type of tarp out in front of it. I'll need to get planning on that. But I suspect some sort of wind shield around part of the forge should be a higher priority - been rather windy around here lately.

My set up is like yours. I open the doors to my shed (8' high) and run a tarp across them and then just put the forge far enough out that the stack passes by the tarp. Works ok in a light rain, fails miserably in a heavy rain but at least I am clean before I get into the house.:D

Thanks Mark, I had a smithy in mind when I built the shed. But for now I will be working outside. I have a barn that is 4 times as big as the shed, but it has a wooden floor. My biggest problem right now is that the sun is down way before I get home from work. The local critters seem to like it too - After taking the picture, I turned around to this on the other side of my back yard.

I would love it if there was something closer to home - seems like everything I hear about is in Northern NE. There certainly seem to be a lot of Bay Staters posting here.

Deer Butts! Mmmmmm. They roast up mighty tasty! We get moose here abouts and Personally I think they're a bit more tastey but you'd better have a BIG freezer before you try collecting any.

Good poing about not having a Bay State (new term to me) Association. Reminds me of Alaska a few years ago, seems most of the smiths in AK up until then were members of the NWB, those that were members of an organization that is. So, here's what we did. I really enjoyed hanging out with the blacksmith at the state fair and we got to talking about starting a local organization. One thing led to another and as of now the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths has a good 30 plus members, meets regularly and even puts onpublic demos.

So, why don't some of you guys get together and start talking. Just remember do NOT leave the room during the first meeting or you're likely to come back and find yourself an elected officier of some sort, that's how I ended up president, I left to take a leak and returned to discover my exaulted rank. Heck, I show em though, I don't even call meetings to order till someone reminds me.

Frosty Edited by Frosty

My set up is like yours. I open the doors to my shed (8' high) and run a tarp across them and then just put the forge far enough out that the stack passes by the tarp. Works ok in a light rain, fails miserably in a heavy rain but at least I am clean before I get into the house.:D

That is great Doug, I hadn't thought of using the doors. I have a 4x6 beam with a rail that sticks 3' out the front at the peak. I was thinking of using that to put up some type of tent structure that would follow the roof line to extend the usable space. Using the doors would be a much smaller project short term. Thanks for the idea.

Deer Butts! Mmmmmm. They roast up mighty tasty! We get moose here abouts and Personally I think they're a bit more tastey but you'd better have a BIG freezer before you try collecting any.

Good poing about not having a Bay State (new term to me) Association. Reminds me of Alaska a few years ago, seems most of the smiths in AK up until then were members of the NWB, those that were members of an organization that is. So, here's what we did. I really enjoyed hanging out with the blacksmith at the state fair and we got to talking about starting a local organization. One thing led to another and as of now the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths has a good 30 plus members, meets regularly and even puts onpublic demos.

So, why don't some of you guys get together and start talking. Just remember do NOT leave the room during the first meeting or you're likely to come back and find yourself an elected officier of some sort, that's how I ended up president, I left to take a leak and returned to discover my exaulted rank. Heck, I show em though, I don't even call meetings to order till someone reminds me.

Frosty

Frosty, I have only had moose once. The sportsmans club I belong to has an annual game dinner and last year they had moose balls - ground moose meat shaped like meat balls - they were delicious. There are also members that are licensed to "remove" pest Canadian Geese. I don't know what they marinated those goose breasts in but it was delicious.

About the only time I hear the term Bay State is on the local news. Out of staters just call us Ma**holes.:rolleyes: Thanks for the instructions on claying the forge - I made the mistake of using a speedy dri type of clay that I bought at Ace. It was a real pain to grind down to dust, but I got there. I think I did it a little too wet. It did not burnish well. But I am real happy with my spider web style forge tiles.

I will be sure to be a charter member of the Bay State Blacksmith Guild if something comes of this. Part of the problem is that the roads are so choked with cars that it is a real pain to go very far around here. My job is 17 miles from home, but that translates to 45 minutes each way for me - on a good day! I spent some time in Nebraska a couple years back and the hotel was 60 miles from the plant - I could get back and forth there faster than I can commute at home and I would see less cars on the whole trip than the first mile here.

Bill Edited by Cross Pein
typos

That is great Doug, I hadn't thought of using the doors. I have a 4x6 beam with a rail that sticks 3' out the front at the peak. I was thinking of using that to put up some type of tent structure that would follow the roof line to extend the usable space. Using the doors would be a much smaller project short term. Thanks for the idea.

Frosty, I have only had moose once. The sportsmans club I belong to has an annual game dinner and last year they had moose balls - ground moose meat shaped like meat balls - they were delicious. There are also members that are licensed to "remove" pest Canadian Geese. I don't know what they marinated those goose breasts in but it was delicious.

About the only time I hear the term Bay State is on the local news. Out of staters just call us Ma**holes.:rolleyes: Thanks for the instructions on claying the forge - I made the mistake of using a speedy dri type of clay that I bought at Ace. It was a real pain to grind down to dust, but I got there. I think I did it a little too wet. It did not burnish well. But I am real happy with my spider web style forge tiles.

I will be sure to be a charter member of the Bay State Blacksmith Guild if something comes of this. Part of the problem is that the roads are so choked with cars that it is a real pain to go very far around here. My job is 17 miles from home, but that translates to 45 minutes each way for me - on a good day! I spent some time in Nebraska a couple years back and the hotel was 60 miles from the plant - I could get back and forth there faster than I can commute at home and I would see less cars on the whole trip than the first mile here.

Bill

Oh YOWZA spagetti and mooseballs!

Part of the trouble with drying time could just be the relative humidity but it could be the type of clay too. I prefer plain old fire clay myself though I keep hearing good things about bentonite. I'm glad it's working out for you.

45 mins for a 17 mile commute? Good grief man I'd be thinking about mounting some ordanance on my commuter! Before I retired I had a 50 mile 1 way commute and it was under an hour each way if I made the stoplights at either end and I thought we had bad traffic.

So, why don't you shop for a job and house here?

Frosty

I'd love to go to a hammer in or even just another smith's shop that was close by.

Anyone here from up-state Vermont? I'm 3 miles from Lake Champlain and 22 miles from the Canadian border. I feel pretty darned isolated up here. :(

David

THAT feels isolated David?

Have you considered shopping for work and a place to stay here? We have plenty of big lakes and like to keep the Canadians a bit farther off.

Okay, if you're Canadian take a breath, I'm just joking :rolleyes:

Frosty Edited by AKFrosty57

Oh YOWZA spagetti and mooseballs!

So, why don't you shop for a job and house here?

Frosty

Two words - Sarah Palin :rolleyes:

Sorry to dis the hometown cutie, (I see how close to Wasilla you are.) but she really makes me wonder what's in the water up there! ;)

Seriously though, I am rooted here pretty strongly. The land I live on was purchased by my grandfather in the 1920's, the kids and grand kids are all here, and besides, I hear it gets a little chilly up there. My father served on the Illutions during WWII and he loved Alaska. I definitely want to see it some day.

I didn't know there were many jobs up there - I thought you folk were all living off the permanent fund?

Bill