I Forge Iron

horse head bottle opener

unicorn- I believe that is a fuller that brian made using spring steel and to answer your question ironstien those are brians tools I took that pic out of the gallery. I was trying to make a bottle opener recently and was not getting very good results so I contacted brian and asked him to explain to me the steps that it takes. Brian told me about the post that he put in the gallery it shows the tools and the steps to take. I was going about it all wrong I was punching the hole and using a drift now I use the slitting chisel the go to the horn on the anvil once you get close you can do the rest of the detail on the horse the eye and nose. also you want to watch the size of the hole and stop forging Right before you get big enough or you have to reshape into the oval shape that I ended up with on this one which is fine but a nice round one is better

KB here...
I spend what little time I have on the computer to update photos and websites but Brian told me to look at this today and I am happy to know that the time you have spent with Brian has resulted in some good forging! Good job Clinton.
I look forward to seeing our CA friends again! ;)
PS- Hi to Dora

thanks to everyone for the positive response to my post and karen tell brian that i am working at the forge as much as possible and his teaching is going a long way. I have been doing some 3d horse heads using 3/4 stock and they are getting better I made a steak turner that is pretty nice. my brother came by yesterday so I used his striking to draw out a piece to make a bbq fork (cheap power hammer) a little scary though he has never struck before but we got some work done before it got dark I will post some more pics ltr

I made a couple more openers burned one up at dark last night (oops) got it down to about 30 min to complete one also made the fuller it is coil spring forged one piece had my brother help to draw it out just need to sand and harden/ temper

19043.attach

19044.attach

19045.attach

19046.attach