I Forge Iron

new member and owner needs help

New here and just purchased my first anvil. Will be using it for general hobby and mantainance work, who knows what that will lead to. If possible I'd like some help in getting the anvil ID'd. The sellor had spray painted it a flat black, hopefully not to hide any damage. It does have an oval depression in the base, the one side has some sort of logo with straight dashes above and below the remaining symbols (I cannot read it). Any ways take a look and if you can help out I would appreaciate it.

18838.attach

18839.attach

Welcome to the group
Nice looking anvil no chips visible on the one side
Looks to be wrought anvil with steel plate welded on top
Ussually name was stamped on side
The way I tell if it is a good anvil is to drop a ball bearing from 2' or 3' onto the face.
You want at least 3/4 rebound from the distance you dropped it. Higher is better but if it goes clunk and fall off it is poor.

I just bought a 128 trenton. The edges on the face are not as clean as yours but has a side small plate coming off the side (not sure what they are called) of the step. I paid 269 for it and I feel like it got a pretty good deal. Unless it has poor rebound (mine is about 90-95%) anything approaching $2 a pound is decent price. most things I was seeing in my area were approaching $3 a lb so I think you go a great deal.

I just bought a 128 trenton. The edges on the face are not as clean as yours but has a side small plate coming off the side (not sure what they are called) of the step. I paid 269 for it and I feel like it got a pretty good deal. Unless it has poor rebound (mine is about 90-95%) anything approaching $2 a pound is decent price. most things I was seeing in my area were approaching $3 a lb so I think you go a great deal.

It sounds to me like you have a farrier's pattern with a clip (the plate that you referred to coming off the step).