I Forge Iron

Training

For me, finding out about the craft of blacksmithing was very exciting. Some one else has a tag at the end of their posts that says something like, "play with fire - hit metal ... fun" you get the picture. First I searched the web and found anvilfire and other sites that seemed helpful - then I found IFI!

I've read every book I can find and have started gathering my tools and found the parts for a homemade anvil that I should have together in about 2 weeks - I still need some training though and did some more searching on the internet and I found this video:

. . . I hope that you can link to it ... if not, go to You Tube and search for "Artistic forged iron leaves 3" take a look and understand why I am glad I found you first! I have found more practical, hands-on info here than anywhere. There is NO local Abana group that I can find so it's off to find a local school or college that may offer training. Oh yeah, about the video, it shows many interesting things that may be totally wrong, but a new person may not know that without mentoring like I find here.

Tim Edited by Tim McCoy

The guys in that video are gonna get hurt! They are striking a chipped ball peen. Just a matter of time before they shatter one of those hammers and take shrapnel in the leg. They might wanna heat the metal to a forging heat as well. I like the home made anvils though.

UnicornForge,
I would say that the video I linked you to has much to say about what NOT to do. I found it to be frightening in actuality. Striking hard hammers together, no eye protection, no gloves, obviously having no plan for the working of the steel except with verbal commands, working rather thick stock with a small ball peen used as a top fuller ... should I go on? I am still new to this ... gathering stock, building a home made anvil and getting ready to start as soon as I can. A couple of months ago, had I seen this particular video I may not have noticed the errors I see now. Just another way of saying that everything that one finds on the internet is not good information. Hence, the appreciation for IFI and other sites that engage professionals and people who are trying to become craftsmen as opposed to stereotypical backyard metal benders. Didn't mean to confuse the issue with my sarcasm about what I saw.

..Have you any info about the farriers group in the Las Vegas area?? How may I find them? Tim

Hopefully, one of these will help:

FPD, Inc. Calendar of Events
Farrier Directory: Farriers.com-Nevada
Farrier Industry Association | For Members

The Anvil Magazine Guide to Farrier Associations
American Farriers Assn. Equine Research Fund
Mike Savoldi, Chairman
Cal Poly University - Arabian Horse Ctr.
3801 W. Temple Avenue
Pomona CA 91768 4076
Phone: 805/239-0180
E-mail: mtsavoldi@csupomona.edu

I especially like the shot in the first (#2) video where they are striking over the "horn". The one is holding his hammer on the base of the leaf and the "striker" is whaling away at the cold other end. One of the hits almost launches the first guys' hammer at his own face.

The other is the fact that the "striker" in the second (#3) video is using a little ole 4-lber as a striking hammer. I would have gone up to at least an 8.