I Forge Iron

making arrowheads

so recently ive been making some basic bodkin points but im not entirely sure if the edges of the socket should overlap or not...any ideas? and for making swallowtail broadheads i have several ideas about how to make them but do you guys know the historically accurate way of making them?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been doing some looking around on the web (not that it's the most reliable source ever) and on this forum, and I can't seem to find how medieval arrowheads were attached to the shafts. There are plenty of resources on forging the heads, but not much on attaching them. Could I pin them like a hilt for a knife?

ive read that pitch was used to secure the heads, but also that wax would sometimes be used so that the arrowheads would release from the shaft when the enemy tried to pull it out. i would think resin or pitch was used. although if you want to use them nowadays, i'd use epoxy, super glue, or even gorilla glue.
the place i would look is primitivearcher.com
i would think it would be something easy to make and use, since arrows needed to be made in volumes and fairly cheaply.

Ed Steinkirchner

• 11 months later...

I wrote to Hector and asked about the socket. He says they were overlapped but not welded. Just said it was too thin, and I would guess too time consuming for mass production.

Still haven't heard a good answer about how the broadpoints were constructed. All that Hector said is that they were 2 parts and forge welded, but no description of how they went together. Just welded from one side? Split and the broadhead slid in and welded? Any knowledge about this?

I have a Kekoman calender form the 70's and it has some very fine photographs of Japanese armour and one of the months has arrrowheads and it seems the Japanese smiths used mostly tanged arrowheads. I also have a book that has a couple of pages of Roman era arrowheads and it seems that a good many of them were also tanged except those from the Greeks. It seems that the one or two that were from the north of France or the south of Germany were socketed.