I Forge Iron

curves in gates?

Bruce:

That gate was made by John Outlaw, that little old man with the hat, who you met at Madison. He's really talented.

The fella with the duck, dog and deer foot knives?

Heh new meaning to walk softly and carry a big stick :).
That work is incredible.

The events on this thread have not gone without my notice.

The site is set up as a way to exchange information. If we can provide many different ways to do something, the viewer can choose which is best in his situation, or combine different ideas into a workable solution.

Thank you Irnsrgn, Ed Thomas, Strine, Anon_smith, Tom Stovall, Sandpile, R.Smith, Mike-hr, and John Outlaw (indirectly) for assisting with the question. That is 9 (nine) folks kind enough to take time to help solve a problem. There have been over 500 views of the topic and I hope those viewers have also benefited by the information provided.
---------------------------

When the forum was set up, I ask moderators to keep it clean, no "bad words", no personal attacks, and it sould be able to be read from the front of the church on Sunday with no one being embarrassed.

All moderators have acted on my behalf, and in what they thought were the best interests of the site. I therefore take the responsibility for their actions, as I gave them the authority to act in my absence.

After much thought, and seeking the counsel and wisdom of others, I will personally take full responsibility for keeping the site a family site and a clean site.

The site is a family site, not family friendly, not family oriented, not family (insert your adjective here), but a family site. The standards are set high. You are expected to conduct yourselves as gentlemen and ladies. Your posts are to be civil, polite, and respectful of others and their opinions. There are to be no "bad words", no personal attacks, and it should be able to be read from the front of the church on Sunday with no one being embarrassed.

The site is a way to exchange information. You may question or comment as you wish within these guide lines, additional guide lines added as needed, the rules of registration, and any disclaimers.

I charge each of you with assisting me in keeping the site a family site, a clean site, and operating within the guidelines set forth. I do not expect any problems, but if they were to occur, please contact me directly with your concerns.

Glenn

I have produced 2 archways (gates, whatever you wish to call them). One for a cemetery and one for a country church. I was asked to copy (pattern after anyway) some stuff that a fabrication/welding shop had done in the area. I tool measurements and came up with what I considered tasteful finished goods. The arches were rolled on a tire roller at some Amish friends buggy shop. This is 1 1/4" 15 ga tubing. Arches were tuned (cold) on the step of the anvil and tweaked a little to get them exact. Legs were cut and migged. Entire affair (arch and legs) was bolted together. Scrolls were bent from 3/16 x 1. Cold. Jigs built in my shop (forged). Lettering and accoutriments hand plasma cut (by me in my shop). Customers are both happy and I'm happy. Pictures on request.

Steve (Ten Hammers) O'Grady
Bloomfield, Iowa USA

Steve,

If you could post some pictures, that would be great! I've recently purchased an old 19th Century farm house, and way out back, at the edge of my property is the family cemetary. It only gets a few visitors a year, and some of the fencing, as well as the gates have fallen into disrepair. Out of respect for the history of the land, and it's families, I've offered to fix up and replace the iron work, but I'm in search of ideas for the new gate. Could you help a brother out?

Eric "eander4" Anderson

B Willoughby, I haven't seen this yet so here goes. Welcome aboard. the worldwide community of blacksmithing is a fine place. You may or may not think that you have stepped into a pile. Nothing could be further from the truth. You get this many hogs in the same shed and somebody's gonna bite 'nothers tail and then the squealin starts. Fortunately, you are on a website that don't put up with this. Plenty places for that (squealin). glenn Conner and his compatriots are fine folks and run an excellent show. Again, welcome aboard. I got a hot skillet just waitin for some bacon so belly up and ask away. You WILL however get different opinions.

Steve ( Ten Hammers ) O'Grady

You welcome in my shop anytime

• 2 years later...

:)i use a industrial pipe bender,iv`e made a format for it,i use 25mm box for the frame of the gates,so i tac the 2 lengths of box together,underneath the top arch about 200 mm i put 25 mm x 6mm flat bar so i put the 2 lengths of flat bar in the middle of the box tac it all together and then put it all in the pipe bender and bend it into shape,then both sides of the drive gates are the same.:)

The original question was "How are they able to put custom arches and bends in steel that is fairly heavy guage stock?"

Please feel free to chime in and answer the question with your choice of favorites. As Glenn says, put it in a blueprint and we can all learn. Fabricators can learn blacksmithing techniques, and blacksmiths can learn fabricator techniques. If there are other techniques to bend custom arches, please let us know. Bwilloughby will have to choose which technique is best for his situation.

The site encourages the exchange of information, and encourages questioning a technique or process for better understanding. Shake hands, smile, and let us get to bending custom arches. Bwilloughby said he is sincerely interested in learning, and has chosen us to assist him. He therefore deserves our best efforts.

Peter Wright, Moderator

The IForgeIron site is set up so that the next post reactivates a thread, and brings the thread back to the surface. This thread that was started May 18, 2005 and last posted May 30, 2005. It has laid dormant in the IForgeIron archives for 3 years.

In this case the thread discussion progressed to where a moderator felt their presence was needed. IForgeIron DOES NOT hide these things, IForgeIron does not cleanse and sanitize the logs, and you can find the ENTIRE DISCUSSION from the first question to the last comment in ONE PLACE for review.

Due to the ;apse in time and the sensitivity of the discussion, it would be best if Tom's question were moved to a new thread so the suggestion could get the attention and respect it deserves.

I will close this thread to posts, which is something rarely done on IForgeIron, so folks can concentrate on Tom's suggestion. This thread will still be available for review and reference if anyone has a question about bending.

Bends in Gates