I Forge Iron

At last! First Fire

I finally got my little make-shift forge fired up. Ya'll would laugh if you saw it I'm sure, but what fun! So far, I've just been trying to salvage the few pieces of steel I have laying around the shop. I've made a couple of hammer loops to go on the anvil stand, and a bar to use as a tong rack at the forge. I worked for a little while this afternoon on upsetting and drawing out. Oh well, nothing important to say really, just celebrating my little successes:)

Thanks for all of the information you fine folks provide!

Yeah, by all means, post some pix. Most of us started out with something other than a full set up. It really does us good to see a new smith getting his forge and equipment set up and getting excited about it. I LOVE IT!!!!! Congrats on finally getting it fired up. Keep us posted on the progress and post some pix. :)

I'll try to post these pics. Now, what I figured you'd all laugh at, was the use of a plastic drier vent to deliver the air from the blower to the firepot. Then, there's the wooden frame for the forge, although, I actually got that idea from a post I saw on here. But I've fired it up three times now, and haven't burned the shop down yet. The big ogre in the apron is me.

Thought I might add, that this is not the final location for the forge. It will actually be set up on the other side of the shop, where it will be drafted out the side wall, using the side-draft design that Hofi has shown in some of his posts.

Be proud, you have done what you set out to do!! Enjoy yourself! Keep pics.. and the first of anything... because at some point you will see how far you have come... do your best and never be ashamed of it!!

some words of inspiration I hope...
Cliff

Looks like a fine start to me! You've got nothing to hang your head about :)

Keep doing research and asking questions - most of us started out pretty humble (I started out with a piece of bent I-beam, an O/A torch and a claw hammer) and worked our way up - just set yourself to working and make those changes in the shop as they fit how you work.

Have a great time and keep those pictures coming!