I Forge Iron

140 lb Trenton for $325

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying this Trenton. It's approximately 140 lbs and looks to be in great shape from what I can tell in these pictures, but I wanted to get the opinions of the experts on here before I do anything. Location is central Ohio.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/oswc/misc/1.jpg
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/oswc/misc/2.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by wrkn4alivn

I'd like to know what's up with the face. It's obviously been refinished. Why? Has someone tried to build it back up with hardfacing electrodes, and if so did they know what the **** they were doing? Or was it just ground down to make it look pretty -- in which case, how much of the original steel plate was ground away?

Appears to be in excellent condition. I would make sure of the rebound...The owner has done a lot of cleaning/buffing/sanding, maybe to so it shows good or maybe cause something is wrong. (like it may have been in a fire which will take out the temper from the face. Just make sure it has good rebound over all the face, if so BUY IT!! That's about $2.32 per/lb., a great price for a Trenton.

It's owned by a local smith. I had the same concern about the face. In his original email said he 'buffed it' to remove the rust for the pic. I'll ask him what he used - looks like an angle grinder to me.

If it was just a light 'once over' to remove some surface rust, then it's probably nothing to be concerned about. Wish he hadn't done it, though :(

My bad that second picture the left back foot looks like a farrier's clip on the horn but looking at it carefully it's an optical.

Sorry!

Thomas

I'm still learning the correct terminology. A clip is the bump-out on the side of the horn, right? If so, it has one. It's visible on the first picture. I think you were right the first time.

18608.attach

I left six years ago and I was averaging a name brand anvil in great shape for under US$1 a pound every year at that time. Which was substantially under the going rate even then---my best buy was the 515# Fisher in mint condition for $350 found inside city limits! (Actualy through asking around at the South High Fleamarket---the one at the drive in.)