I Forge Iron

Portland OR, suggested places of interest?

I'm having a work trip to Portland (USA) next weekend/next week. I'll have one day off, so is there anything interesting (blacksmithing related or not) to see/visit?

One thing that I hope to find, that I haven't seen here in Finland, is a butcher's block brush with stiff wide bristles. Should I look for a hardware or a kitchen supplies shop to find one?

Edited by Minotaur
added country information

Portland UK or Portland USA or some other location?

Try a Farriers supplies place they usually have the heavy duty brushes,

or commercial supplies for the hotel / butchers industry,

or ask your local butcher where he gets his from if you have one.

Edited by John B
Determining location

I'm having a work trip to Portland (USA) next weekend/next week. I'll have one day off, so is there anything interesting (blacksmithing related or not) to see/visit?

One thing that I hope to find, that I haven't seen here in Finland, is a butcher's block brush with stiff wide bristles. Should I look for a hardware or a kitchen supplies shop to find one?

If you have transport, take a trip out to Mt Hood and Timberline lodge. I think this is about 1 hours drive. There is a lot of blacksmithing examples in the lodge.

The restaurant serves a fine breakfast.

North of Portland a fraction is fort Vancouver. They usually have a blacksmith doing demos. Very colonial.

You can try and fine butcher block brushes in Portland, but my guess is that it will have to be ordered.

You might want to have them coming to your hotel as you fly.

Books should be there.

The whole area is beautiful.

Multnomah Falls is a short trip out of the city. Mount Hood is a nice trip. Mount St. Helens is a nice trip. The ocean is close. The Columbia River Gorge has so many sites.

I really miss that area. I used to travel down there often for work and regrettably, never took advantage of all the sites.

One of my favorite day trips is to drive up to Timberline Lodge and return through Hood River and Columbia Gorge. Its a big loop drive and will take all day if you stop and enjoy all the sites along the way. Timberline was a WPA project that has remained true to the craftsmen who built it. I highly recommend it- take a look at this link to get an idea of whats inside: Timberline, Mt. Hood, OR New Deal Art

One word: POWELL's!

More titles than Amazon, more volumes in stock than Amazon, validated parking & a decent coffee shop (just TRY to eitehr from from Amazon) and a staff rated among the ten sexiest by Mercury Magazine.

I especially reccommend Powell's Technical Bookstore, a few bloks east of the main store.

Have a meal at Jakes, not far from Powell's.

One word: POWELL's!

I especially reccommend Powell's Technical Bookstore, a few bloks east of the main store.

Powell's is already on the google map that a colleague of mine did. The Technical Bookstore is a good hint, thanks. I wouldn't mind finding some books by Dona Z. Meilach and some other blacksmithing books.

Hello Minotaur.

Ft. Vancouver is always open on the weekends and weekdays. They usually close at 5 pm. The weekends are a better time to go, more blacksmiths and woodworkers there. I worked at Ft. Vancouver for a few years. The blacksmith shop has four forge stations with four large bellows suspended from the beams overhead.

Also, I live about 15 minutes from Timberline Lodge and my son works there. If you give me an idea about when you will be in town perhaps I can arrange for my son to give you a private tour of the lodge!! The iron work by Darrel Nelson is fantastic! Send me a private message.

One of my favorite places in the world is the Columbia River Gorge. I drive my classic truck down the gorge a least once a month in the summer. Most of the leaves have fallen from the trees and it's usually a little windy this time of year but it's still a beautiful drive. I recommend the old highway on the Oregon side. Again, send me a private message and I will communicate directions for you.