I Forge Iron

Volcan Anvil!!!!!

Two weeks ago, my dad and I were cleaning out my step mother's dad's shed and we found a Vulcan anvil marked with a number 20 on the foot, I guess that is what you would call it. We where told that it was an old gun smith anvil. I was just wondering if anyone could tell anything about them and what the number 20 is about. I thought if anything, the people on here seem well versed on this subject and would give me great info. I would like to say thank you in advanced, for any help.

Vulcans were also known as the poor man's Fisher. Made almost the same way, but never quite as good. Just take it easy when forging.

I am still a shop teacher, year 33, with a forge, foundry, welding, sheet metal, and machining capabilities. Also the wood shop teacher in the morning with a full program. I recruited a top student five years ago to go to Millersville and he is now employed at my school. He does the advanced Metals and AutoCad. When I retire in a few years, he will keep the Metal program alive. Wood teachers are easier to find. Not all schools close their shops. We also have a full Graphics program, and starting Robotics/Engineering. Sorry to hijack the thread, but had to respond.

i have a broken 100-ish# fisher ,I say "ish" because the heel is missing from the near side of the hardy hole. horrific chisel marks on the face and horn, because the previous owner (my dad) figured that what it was for. it was my first anvil so it now resides on the floor near the forge to act as an upsetting block and a bick. my main forging anvil is now a vulcan at, at least 300 lbs and i love it, no deffening ring, and it doesn't need spiked down to the stump. i have only 3 problems with it. the flatness of the horn, the huge hardy hole (1-1/4 inch stock is hard for me to find!), my final problem is that there is no step. the face was in good shape, not too rusty, AND it was only 100$!my last anvil is like 125 lbs and it is wrought with a steel face. rings enough to make my ears to the same.

You can use shims for your hardies to size down to 1" or whatever. No step, no problem...make a 'hardie step'. The euro style anvils have no steps on them and this is what most folks do to solve that small problem. Loud ringing anvil...deaden it with chain, tie it down to base, use a magnet....or wear ear protection. My anvil is chained tightly to the base, little ring AND I wear ear protection. Need to save what hearing I have left. 36+yrs in the metal business....and age...have left their mark.

My main shop anvil has 1.5" hardies, (yup 2 of them), and I have take a piece of sq tubing and slit the corners with a hack saw and heated and bent out the tabs, drop in in the hardy and you have a smaller hardy! (Actually I had to do this twice to get down to a size I can use "regular" hardy tools on)

Another trick was that I traded for some top swages and forged the area the handle went through to fit my large hardy holes---I can always drift them back out again if I change my mind! (Used my large screw press as they didn't have to slim down much and it made for nice parallel sides)