I Forge Iron

Simple candle holders practice

Some pics of simple candleholders made on a weekend at Westpoint, most were taken home to finish

The students were doing there own thing based on what they had learnt on a Forging Experience day at Westpoint

All developed more confidence in their abilities and expanded on their basic knowledge.

The next course will be making figurines on November 28th and 29th the weekend after St Clems at Sticklepath.

18568.attach

18569.attach

18570.attach

18571.attach

18572.attach

18573.attach

18574.attach

I like the concept of the last one for a tea light. Very minimalist and gives me an idea for use in the fireplace when we are not having a fire. Having a candle or 3 lit helps keep chimney odors down when the weather is changing.

They are all very nicely done, especially #5. I bet I could talk my wife into having something like that in the house.

Phil

they look great john - bet it was a fun day lots to learn- i meant to come to the hinge making but i saw last night that its already happened!!! thought it was late november - was going to contact the other person you suggested too! quite annoyed i got it wrong. will def be at one of these things soon.

ps pkrankow women think tealights are esspecially pretty when you light all 100 of them at once - their appeal is in the ammount of lights you can get in a small space - so a design where you can fit loads of them on.. would be cool:) i might do one actually...

phil i once saw actually a kind of decorative "wall" incorporating tea light holders that would hold about a hundred - would have looked good lit. it was about 6 ft tall and about 3 wide with the tea light spikes on branches. would look really pretty in the fireplace too tho - yeah 100 - its a lot of fire i suppose!:)

tea lights on the pond too - NICE!:)

Hi Beth, if you want to see a display for T lights you ought to go to Matlock Bath on their Venetian Nights from September to end of October, just missed them unfortunately.

Where the river Derwent flows through past the esplanade on the Saturday evenings there are a number of rowing boats dressed like carnival floats but instead of electric lights, they used to have hundreds of T lights in coloured glass holders giving various outlines that flicker as they move slowly down the river. Most enchanting for children and adults alike. You can see some pictures here matlock bath venetian nights - Google Images

I can remember going along in the fifties as a kid, as a treat, rationing was still in effect on certain items after the war and this provided a splash of colour in an otherwise drab environment

Then the lights were night lites (what we call tea lights now) placed inside meat or fish paste jars and strung from a frame to give the effects. Simple but effective, just like blacksmithing

wow john just had a look at those - cant believe thats tea lights - how beautiful! theres something about the flame as opposed to an electric light that looks amazing - we have a lot of fun camping with the tea light paper hot air
ballon style lanterns that you send off up into the sky and you can see for miles - unfortunately the farmers dont like them so thats prob the end of them - nice while it lasted tho!

Some of the larger ones I suspect have electric light systems but the simpler ones are still candlepower by the look of them

The hot air candle balloons have been stopped down here because they were igniting fires on Dartmoor and other potentially combustible areas. Fire services requested they not be used. Understandable really with thatched roofs and dry moorland areas as well as hay an other volatile crops

Look forward to seeing you one day, we have a figurine course next if thats of interest to you

I have just attached a coupl of pics of previous items made on a figurines course, The man with scythe was made as a trophy for a cricket club as the figure is the same as on the weathervane at Lord's the cricket ground, the votive stand could use tealights or candle depending on which sconces were fitted

18644.attach

18645.attach

18646.attach

Edited by John B
pictures added

thanks john they look great - when is the figurine course? is it going to be mainly freestanding figures or could it be figures or animals or whatever made to use in flatter places like gates screens etc? also is it in okehampton again? thanks john

Figurine course is November 28th and 29th at Westpoint. Okehampton St Clems day is just a blacksmiths gathering on November 21st

The figurine course is the techniques to make a three dimensional figure that you can adapt to what your requirements are. Including making the tooling, and on this course how to detail a face which should be appropriate for making 'flatter' items for features for gates etc. Same techniques, different pattern