I Forge Iron

knife for Scoutmaster friend

Greetings,

This little knife is one I like a lot. It has 6" blade with 4.2" handle. I hope it is just the right size for a friend of mine to carry and use. With luck, he will be able to tell the kids over and over how someone actually made the knife (without machines, without shipping it across the ocean...).

This is the first time I have gone with blued fittings, and I like them a lot. I torched them, but had to follow with birchwood casey for touchup.

knife is etched, with visible dif ht line. The first pic is the blade w/out hanlde but after test etch.

This wood is workable but pretty dense. I like it a lot.

Thanks for looking,

Kevin

18512.attach

18513.attach

18514.attach

Edited by kevin (the professor)

Kevin, I saw your name on this thread and said, "Oooo! Let's see what he's done now!" I like seeing how you advance with each piece.
I like it. I'd be proud to carry it out to the next scout meeting and explain how it was made.
What wood is the handle?

Ecart,
thanks for the reply. This one is tulipwood. I really liked this wood - its dense but pretty easy to work. It also has a really visible figure/grain.

I actually have a custom order, for a knife almost like this one (shorter clip and maple handle with palm swell).

So, this knife was a lot of fun to make, and I hope my friend likes it.

Also - people seeing it has led to ORDER # 3!

YEAH!
kc

Also - people seeing it has led to ORDER # 3!

YEAH!
kc

And that's how it works! I'm working on about three hand seaxes at the moment. One will be a gift at a "Viking Christmas party" that a friend holds every year. Hopefully folks will like it and want the other two. :D

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Great Knife Kevin,
Our troop has a scoutmaster with a handmade knife, clip point, vine spine, antler scales, and blued. When the boys are doing a pioneering project, it was a big honor for him to loan you his knife. I know his boys will be very impressed!
SteveT

thanks everyone - I love the idea of the kids seeing the knife and not recognizing any standard name brand on it. I have told the Scoutmaster to try and get them to figure out where he got the knife. I want them to realize that you can make things like that with your own hands.
Also, there is a "metalworking" badge for scouts. If any are interested, I will show them enough and supervise them while they work at it (if their parents say it is ok).

I have had several adolescents try to convince me that their parents said it was ok for me to make them a knife (they promised).

Of course, it is not only a bad idea to give a 5" long fixed-blade knife to a kid without consent of parent, it is a crime.

thanks for comments. Hope to create a new generation of smiths.

kc