I Forge Iron

Big Blu 110 upper die block cracked

I have an order for a coat rack with 8 dimple hooks and thought I would make some extras while I was at it. I got 24 started with the dimples drove in the top and had three tapered,and done and started on the next 3 when the top die came loose on my Big Blue. I tightened it back up and started up again and I hadn't finished the next heat on the 3 pieces when it came loose again. I got to checking and the top die block had cracked 3/4 of the way across. Not a good situation. Soonest I can get one on the way is Monday.
I put it in the big vise and squeezed it back together and held it there. put a big c-clamp top to bottom and lined it up in that direction also. Tacked it on the end then V ground it down as far as I could go with out it breaking in 2 and then welded it up. It is cooling now and then I will try to grind it from inside and weld it solid again.
Don't know if it will hold but it's worth a try. Anyone got any experience with this sort of repair.

John

We have had dovetails crack off completely. We repaired them by building up a complete new dovetail with the mig welder using copper side blocks to retain the molten metal. We used a high strenght wire for this job. Sent it off to the machine shop after normalising, the heat treated it when it came back from the machineshop. Die is still going good after about 6 years of daily all day use. We still check it fairly often for signs of cracks.

Phil

If you must use it for a little more safety you could drill and tap a couple of holes thru the part of the dovetail that was coming loose into the base. Use grade 8 bolts even if the welds don't hold the bolts should keep the parts from flying. Also you may find the die key does not fit well after you weld on the block. You may need to refit it. I have saved a few LG hammer frames with bolts and weld. good luck
Phil

The Block is a bolt on. The bolts holding the block to the hammer were still tight. It's welded back together and I finished the hooks with no problem. I called Big Blu and they said to call back first thing Monday and they would get one out to me.
I can't complain this is the first issue I've had with it. Just wanted to know if anyone else had ever welded one up before. We'll see how it does tomorrow.

John