I Forge Iron

cross peen question

I have as my primary hammer, a fairly old cross peen that I picked up for about $2 at a garage sale a few years ago.

The peen on this hammer is really, fairly rounded and what I (of limited knowledge) would consider to be quite dull and wide.

How thick should the edge of a cross peen be??

What would be the best (and most) way to narrow the thickness (without throwing it in the forge. don't want to ruin it)

Thanks.

David

My favorite cross pein has a pein that looks like a 1" rod attached to the hammer. It works so well for moving metal that I would be upset if *anybody* tried to narrow it down.

Is your larger than that?

Now for using one to do decorative peening like on a flower petals I have a modern one with those too narrow a peen on them to use to move metal without causing cold shuts.

there is no one pien for all and ive got a few different hammers with different piens on them for different uses ... try iy and see if you dont like it change it... if its a cheap hammer then you dont have to worry about ruining it... or pick up a few used hammers and experement with um ...

Well mine's not quite *that* bad, Thomas. Although I could probably weld a chunk of round stock to the end of it and make it close. hehehe

I'd say it's more like a piece of 1/4" round stock.

I think I'm concerned more because I don't really have a clue what I'm doing yet, no one to learn from in person where I am and I'm using you guys (more or less) as my teachers. [grin]

David