I Forge Iron

I'll show you mine if you show me yours

Bob H.

Yup, I flintknap too. There is a big learning curve on that. Like how to properly apply a bandage! Lot's of blood in the beginning. Neat hobby. I sometimes do primitive skill demos for cub scouts/boy scouts. Someone will invariably ask if those are Indian arrowheads. My ancesters knapped as well, as all of ours have. The only problem is, I keep putting the point on the wrong end!

Bob Harasim
Coyote Forge

Post edited Site Admin

Hey Bob Welcome to Iforge Iron, I like what you are doing here those knives are sweet especially that smaller one in the first pic. Is the handle maple ? Nice stone blades too I've tried my hand at knapping and so far all I can make is lots of gravel :) Oh and sometimes a chunk siutable for sale with a striker for a fire starter kit.

Jens

OK, here are a few more. Oh, the handles on both of the first knives are maple. One is birdseye, the other is a not very curly, curly maple.

Oh, the pictures don't do justice to the knives. The last knife looks like grinder marks on the guard, but that is just something in the digital image. I ain't that good with that camera.

Bob Harasim
Coyote Forge

563.attach

564.attach

565.attach

566.attach

567.attach

568.attach

Bob, Taking better pictures takes some practice, some messing with the camera settings, and the right lighting setup.
I 'm just starting to learn how to take decent photos. Check these links out for some help with photos, these guys have all helped me quite a bit.
My "no frill" set up - Bladesmith's Forum Board
SharpByCoop.com - Professional Knife Photograhy by Jim "Coop" Cooper for the discriminating knife maker, collector, or dealer

Jens

Hey Woody, I see you are from Rapid City. Spent a year out there, in the Air Force. Out in the Black Hills, I found a rock slide that had a lot of rose quartz. I found a nice, clear, football sized rock. But left it there, as I was in the AF, and didn't know what the heck I'd do with it. NOW, if I had that same rock, I'd try to knap it. I know that many Native Americans used some clear quartz to make some very nice points. Especially the Clovis points, which was a long spear point, that had a flute, or groove, down each side. The spear shaft was then split, and the splits lay in the groove, and then it was wrapped to hold all in place.

I used to wander the hills, or bad lands by myself, hiking and taking pictures. Also, did a lot of trout fishing up in the hills. Nice places.

Bob Harasim
Coyote Forge

Tim, the handles are a not very curly, curly maple, and a birds eye maple. The birds eye is my sisters x-mas present.

Victor, I only last year started making knives. I needed some primitive knives for my mountain man group, and one thing led to another. I have actually been blacksmithing about 5 years, as a hobby only.

Bob Harasim
Coyote Forge

Well, I guess after further thought, I need to make a correction. I have been making knives for 2 years now. I tend to forget things, you know. Again, the first knives were made to represent early 1800 mountain man style knives. And the very first one I made, from a piece of farm equipment spring, I used to gut and butcher my deer last year. Works like a charm. I have carried some of my flint knives deer hunting, but wasn't successful enough to try them out. Which reminds me, I need to make a sheath for this years deer hunting knife.

Bob Harasim
Coyote Forge

PS. One of the reasons I call myself Coyote Forge, is that my mountain man name is Coyote Bob. And the Native Americans believe the Coyote is a trickster, and uh, well, it kinda fits.

• 2 weeks later...