I Forge Iron

leaf burner.

kindrage

ok so I went to my dads today he gave me about 40 railroad spikes and big bolts and 2 plates thay use to hook the rail to the tie and he also gave me 2 propane tanks 20lb ones and a leaf burner don't know if any one knows what that is but thay look almost just like a propane forge burner you can buy. One of the tankes thay won't fill so I was wondering if I cut doors on the top and bottom mount it on its side and attach the leafe blower on the side or kinda in an angle of the propane tank will that make a good forge and if so can some one send some photos so I can see some ideas I kinda seen a vodeo on you tube it looks like this guy did the same thing o and I have some red brick to put in the bottom so my steel can sit on it. Well any ideas or sugjestions would be great thanks guys. Sorry I can't put any photos up right now cause I use my pm pre for the internet no computer. It was stolen. Thanks guys.

Read these discussions on the subject.
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f11/cutting-into-propane-tank-8383/
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f11/cutting-open-propane-tnak-7872/

.....Don't do it, will go boom,
you'll find yourself in another time zone, etc.

Just passing on what I've been told in the past by the much wiser than I forefathers who will also chime in shortly, I'm sure.

(It's almost like they have an alarm to jump in and correct me every time I post something.)
Edited by UnicornForge

Thanks Unicorn, I was gonna find that thread...lol.

In case anyone is wondering, back a few years ago, I toyed with the idea of cutting a propane tank. The above text box that Unicornforge posted is a short summary of the wisdom I was given. I have tried to pass that along every time someone posts about cutting a propane tank.

I have cut a lot of them and never had any problems however if you don't have much cutting experience then you may be better off leaving it alone but here is how I do it, make sure the tank is completely empty, remove the valve from the tank, using water rinse the tank out good, fill the tank with water and let it set for a day or so, empty the water out and refill it with clean water and cut ti using an abrasive cut off tool, cut it with the tank full of water.
DO NOT DO THIS WITH AN ELECTRIC TOOL!
The water will run out of the tank when you you cut into it and if you are using an electric tool you will get electricuted and will likely die.
Again if you do not have much cutting experience then do not do this.
If you are unsure or uncomfortable with this then do not do it.
I nor iforgeiron.com are recomending that you do this, I am only telling you how I do it and that I have never had any problems when cutting a tank, remember that YOU are responsible for your actions and your own safety and should never do anything that is beyond your skill level.

welder19

I don't get mad when people are trying to help your just helping and thank you I won't do it but like the last post said could I use the leafe burner as my flame. And I guess I will just stick to my first idea and make one fom a thick piece of square tube add some doors and line it with kaowool a fire brick and I'm set. That is if the leafe burner works. I'm tierd of using wood it burns way to fast for me. Thanks guys.

Kindrage,
I once made a forge out of an old freon tank, what I found is that what I ended up with was less than OK with me. I think that it was just too big around and the inside either needs 2 layers of kaowool or you have to much volume to heat up. Not very efficient, but will work. I just posted a couple of pictures of the forge I am now using, take a look maybe, this will give you some ideas. Good luck, have fun, but most of all be safe. Your loved ones need you in one piece.
Joe

Kindrage,
Study the info on this site about building a gas forge. There is a lot of info here. I also used internet searches and found even more. I have never cut into a propane tank so I can't help you there. Many people say don't do it, many say they have done it with no problems as long as safe procedures are used. For my money there are a lot of other things out there which will work fine as a forge body.

When you get it built and lined DO NOT use red brick for a floor. Those are not designed to stand the temps found in even a poorly performing forge and you will be courting disaster. Ask your local block and steel company for high-temp firebrick. You will pay a few bucks per brick but you won't need many.

I'd be curious to see if a weed burner would work as a forge burner. I've used them for weeds and my recollection is that they didn't seem very efficient or particularly hot. But if the flame is confined to a forge . . hmmm?

EDIT: I just noticed you are in Weatherford, TX. You have to be close to places involved in the oil/gas production/transmission field. Look for a scrap end of 8/10/12" steel pipeline pipe. Unless you are going big you won't need more than 15" or 18" of it. Watch the wall thickness. Even short pieces can get heavy.

Good luck. Let us know how it's going.

Bill

Edited by wedwards
Additional info.

I performed a search using the search feature at the top of this page. Here is one of the mentions about "weed burners".

If you're talking about a weed burner, yes but they don't work very well, way too much oxy gets through.

You can buy a propane soldering torch and make a bean can forge that will get hot enough to weld in but there isn't much space inside for decorative work.

Frosty

Zoeller is a good resource, and his prices are fair. If you are a really good scrounger you can do better, but his prices are similar to retail (less than "big box" prices IMHO).

Ron Reil's website is also an excellent resource, but remember that there are many years of information on Ron's site and not just a selection of ideas.
Forge and Burner Design Page #1

A weed burner, while not a "bad" thing is designed to blast hot O2 rich air to set thing on fire, which is not our specific goal. Our goal is to make hot metal.

If you want to use an old propane tank, call up a propane dealer or welding gas supplier and ask about having the valves etc removed from a tank that will be cut up, then fill completely with water before cutting. I don't think an open tank needs to be full of water when being cut by mechanical means, but the water fill (and emptied) insures no gas present. Still better safe than sorry.

The person who removes the valve may require that the tank be holed or cut before it leaves the site for legal reasons. Pack tools for that and expect to compensate for their help whether they charge a fee or not.

Phil

Edited by pkrankow
opinion