I Forge Iron

Forging the corkscrew

Great tutorial, thanks! I was a little worried that my taper was too large, and would mangle the cork, but I successfully opened a bottle of wine last night. Seeing it in picture form made it seem so easy, and it actually was! Must've been luck... my next one will end up a mangled mess, I'm sure.

post-16770-0-64994900-1301029141_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

I first saw the enongated corkscrew forged by Alfred Habermann in 1982. He came to the U.S. from Czechoslovakia and demonstrated for the ABANA in West Virginia and when he soon afterward came to New Mexico, he showed us his version of the corkscrew. There was a showmanship idea behind the implement. After it was completed, the champagne or wine bottle was placed on the floor and between the feet. By bending forward slightly, the corkscrew could be turned and the cork extracted with little strength required. Then, as glasses were furnished, the spectators could partake.

My luck when making these is to start the screw in the "wrong" direction, and now I am the happy maker of the left-handed cork screws.  sold a bunch of them at the state fair this year.  Thank you Uri for providing this tutelege.  I looked it up a while ago and was able to make use of it.  I use mild for the most part, but happened on a about 20 feet of 3/16 medium carbon rod used for overhead power lines.  I can make a thinner screw if needed.

A tip to make your thread "right"

Put your thumb on your right hand up, or out in the direction on desired travel (towards the point) the direction your fingers curl as you make a fist is the direction your corkscrew should curl in.  This makes "right hand threads."  If you desire "left hand threads" then use your left hand.

Of course, there is a market for left hand cork screws: south paws, practical jokers, and people who don't care as long as it works.

Phil

historically accurate corkscrews are forged instead of twisted.  Allen Kress did a demo at the Tannehill Conference this year on how to forge a historically accurate corkscrew.  Modern ways are to twist but the old corkscrews you find are forged and are similiar to an auger bit.

Allen Made a sping swage to forge round stock into as you rotate the stock it forges into a twist with the correct angle and a single cutting edge.  We unfolded this piece and found that it had no consistent shape or cross section.  Allen has committed to perfecting this corkscrew die by next May at Madison.  The Southern Blacksmith Association Conference.

An article explaning the die and the process can be found in the current issue of the AFC,  Bituminus Bits Sept/Oct 2012