I Forge Iron

when the snow flies revisited

Dumb question time here.

How much chance of brittle fracture (breaking into small pieces) is there if I use the anvil without warming it up? I am thinking about this winter in Minnesota. (-20 or so).

Frosty, what do you do up north on your end of the tundra?

Too Much; I've know one fellow have his anvil fail in cold weather and that's one too many for me.

Hard to forge on an anvil that cold too---one good hammer smack and it's time to reheat the piece. Do yourself a favour and preheat the anvil till at least warm to the touch!

An engine block heater sounds like a great idea, since it keeps away those snow flies. I've heard that snow flies up in Lehigh Valley are likely to migrate to south central Pennsylvania by mid-winter, and that they are as large as turkey vultures. :D

they are not technically flies. in the valley we call them new yorkers. they get much bigger than even turkeys. but a lot of times they have vulture characteristics.

I'd like to get to your part of the country one day. The south and south east are the few places I haven't seen. I'm going to try and get to the ABANA conference in Memphis so maybe that will be a start. To respect the thread - I haven't forged through a winter yet so I don't know what I will do. My anvil is fairly small so the block heater idea will probably work pretty well. Thanks.

Bill