I Forge Iron

need advice

Recently my son fired off our old forge we just obtained. Trouble started when he caught a good sized lungful of smoke coming off the green coal. Later that day he ended up in the E.R. with a bad asthma attack we couldn't get under control. Should we stay completely away from the old hand cranked forges and make or buy a gas forge? Is there any one out there that has asthma that blacksmiths or are the two noncompatable?:confused:

That's a tough one. My advice is don't take unnecessary chances, shelf the coal forge and find someone with a gas forge who'll let you work with it for a while to see if it bothers him.

You might get away with charcoal too.

In the long run if a forge fire means he can't breath I think the answer is obvious unless you want to buy one of Grant's induction forges.

Frosty

some athsma is excerised induced. My son and daughter had it as well on of the things we were told to do is dring tea on of the ellements is tholiphlin so the kids got use to carring tea with them were ever they went. I am not a doctor but it worked for them and it was recomended by our doctor. learn to stay out of the smoke. have you tryed wood charcoal?

Edited by Francis Cole

I have a mild case of asthma. I use a coal forge. It doesn't seem to bother me. That being said, different things trigger different asthmatics. I love forging with coal myself and would hate to switch to gas, but if it was the difference between forging with gas or forging not at all, then gas it is. I would say first off to listen to the Doctor. Then if he doesn't say anything about the coal, don't let your son anywhere around the green coal fire. Or consider a different forge as already suggested.

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. Whichever forge you choose to use the vent system is critical. In Maine with cold winters and heavily insulated buildings, many smith have to induce the draft via in line exhausters. Coal forges and gassers both require air in and air out. In the case of coal fired forge I would recomend at least a 10 in pipe for the uptake and sky pipe. Plain or fancy- depending on how much you want to spend, either tact will keep the natuarl draw working for you forge. Gassers will deplete the O2 in a closed space and therefore they require the shop has an adequate inlet air supply. Additionally, the forging process liberates other gasses and these gasses will collect in a closed space. The less contaminated air ones breaths, the better. Not withstanding your sons medical staus be very careful to adequalty address both supply (fresh) ventilation and the exhaust sides of this equation. Peter

Maybe a hood and chimney is all it needs? You said he was fine till he got in the smoke. Granted this is something more than comfort we are talking about, an ER trip is best not needed.

See about borrowing a propane job, building one cost me about $300 when all was said and done. It was a lot of fun though!

Phil

See about a chimney and move your blower away from the forge so you can crank it out of the smoke or fit an electric blower.

Be careful though and try setting it up without him around to get the chimney drawing properly, etc.

Obviously, if the problem even looks like reoccurring then a switch to charcoal or corn may be worth a try.

Edited by rmcpb

The MOB had a member whose asthma was sensitive to coal smoke. Don't fiddle around as even the best coal forges generally manage to smoke things every now and then.

Go with charcoal in the coal forge---needs a LOT less air and use chunk charcoal not briquettes!

Or go with a propane forge.

You will be a lot happier not having to worry!

I have mild periodic asthma. Folks have already given a lot of good advice.

- Good ventilation. Everyone needs to avoid breathing smoke, especially asthmatics. No matter what forge you use, good ventilation is a must-have!
- Good fire control. A well maintained fire gives off very little smoke. If you have billows of green smoke, then I feel that it is advisable to find an experienced smith to spend a couple of days focusing on teaching you and your son proper fire management techniques. Even if you switch to a gas forge, it is important to become expert on fire management of a solid-fuel forge for those occasions that he may be around a solid fuel forge.
- Possibly trying a different fuel. In your position I would seriously consider acquiring a propane forge that was built with a built-in ignition switch. This would be an excellent investment towards your son's good health.

Hey I live in northwest Mo. I have a couple of gas forges. You could bring your son to my shop sometime and see how you get along. Or if you need help with fire managrment I would be glad to try to help. I have some coke and we could try that. If you would like PM me.
Phil