I Forge Iron

Gimme shelter

We have had record amounts of rain fall here the past week, I was able to work the festival yesterday under a maple tree even though we had steady rain. Today, it was falling at a half inch an hour. That was too much even for me! Fire poppin, metal cracking when struck on the anvil, and first and second degree burns from handling hot wet metal.... it goes on.

What kind of portable / craft fair shelters are you guys using? I need suggestions.
I have been thinking about a hood on my fire pot with a stove pipe pipe adapting thingie on a canvas tarp held up with rope and lodge poles.

We have had record amounts of rain ....What kind ..craft fair shelters are you guys using? ....I have been thinking about a hood on my fire pot with a stove pipe pipe adapting thingie on a canvas tarp held up with rope and lodge poles.

Yes, you are basically talking about a canvas tent fly, held with rope and poles. A good investment that pretty much can be used for both craft as well as historical period presentations.

Don't get me wrong, I have done my share of doing things in the rain. I have literally waded through 10" of water to take a look at car parts on trailers, and have made some of my best buys at automotive swap meets during downpours. But that was part of my point. Most sane people were bugging out, iIt was the crazy gearheads like me that stayed. The dealers that did hang around were having to fire sale stuff just to cover expenses.

If you can provide some shelter for the crowd too that would help a lot, as some folks may only have an umbrella. Even with an umbrella, you can get soaked. Now to really help keep them there you can have pots of hot chocolate, or coffee available.

... If you can provide some shelter for the crowd too that would help a lot, as some folks may only have an umbrella. Even with an umbrella, you can get soaked. Now to really help keep them there you can have pots of hot chocolate, or coffee available.

With portable blacksmithing demonstrations, the challenge is to be able to transport and set up enough equipment to be effective, without being overwhelmed by the amount of stuff you are packing and unpacking. Items like tents and other equipment for overnight stays, anvils, stands, benches, tool boxes, display tables, display cases, chairs, water coolers, water, overhead canvas, iron bar stock, coal, forge and air-source, food, other camping supplies, a change of clothing, not to forget pre-forged items, etc etc etc can be daunting especially when you have to be self-sustaining at an event for a couple of days. ;)

For the patrons I was thinking of the rain flys we used in the Scouts. Usually about 12'x12' with aluminum poles, the fly itself was like a blue poly tarp. When rolled up they were about 6" in diameter and 24" long, and weighed about 2#.

Participants tend to frown on blue poly tarps and aluminum poles at museum and other historical events. At least around here. ;)

I'm demoing next weekend and was thinking the same thoughts. The unbleached canvas drop cloth looks pretty period, but I was wondering how easy it would be to set on fire ? Is there any easy way to make them flame retardent ? There was a blacksmith at an event we visted this weekend that was using such a set up and it looked pretty nice.

I don't use this so much for demonstrating while it rains, but to give me shade and protect my equipment and other stuff when it does rain. It is a 15 feet wide by 24 long awning made by Tentsmiths, with Sunforger and fire retardant. I have 2 sets of poles for 2 different heights, depending on where I set up. The center uprights are either 10' or 8' with the side poles 2 feet shorter.

17626.attach

17627.attach

17628.attach

I'm demoing next weekend and was thinking the same thoughts. The unbleached canvas drop cloth looks pretty period, but I was wondering how easy it would be to set on fire ? Is there any easy way to make them flame retardent ? There was a blacksmith at an event we visted this weekend that was using such a set up and it looked pretty nice.

They make canvas tent products with fire retardant as an option. An example of such a web site is: Canvas Tents, Civil War Tents. The generally acknowledged premium tent and fly maker against which all other historical period tents are compared to is Panther Primitives' Products - Historic Tents and Camp Gear

One key element is to make your tent poles long enough so that the canvas is high enough overhead. The other key element is to use a tightly woven canvas that is intended to shed water, and even better has been given a treatment to shed water, otherwise the water will just come through a standard hardware store painter's canvas, from what I have been told.

About 20 years ago I bought two *heavy* 10'x20' pieces of canvas and made them into tarps for my smithing set up. (grommets, reinforcements, etc) I water proofed them with thompsons.

They go on some 7' poles with lots of ropes and long stakes Even when the tarp was thwapping me on the head due to wind I never had any problems with them catching on fire.

After 20 years they are getting pretty beat up and thin; I'm going to have to find a couple of more some time. Craft shows probably wouldn't like them as beat up as they are. Historical demos love them as they get away from the "everything brand new" look.

I will argue which tent maker produces the better tent, that being Tentsmiths. They might be more expensive than Panther, and not make as many, but they are well worth the cost. For example, every seam is flat felled. They are making them in a small shop of their own in New Hampshire, and very well documented for the different type of tents for different time periods. Also the treatment on the canvas is done, so you don't have to, and the fire retardant is required by some state laws. The painter tarps and other canvas you can purchase at the hardware stores and farm stores normally do not have fire retardant. I would not set up without the fire retardant. Yes the canvas will still burn, but not as fast. Again some states require the fire retardant. I only use my large fly/awning a few of times a year. With a little care, mainly storing when completely dry, they will last many years and worth every penny, just like any good tool. Well worth the investment.