I Forge Iron

Hawk Head materials... what do most people use?

Ok, I can make a hawk out of a RR spike, almost no problem. Are there any other recommended materials to make one out of?

I was thinking about using the thicker piece of a leaf spring (it was 2 bolted together, the piece I'm thinking about is the thicker of the 2, about a quarter inch thick, maybe a little more) But I'm not sure how I'd put an eye in there. Any other ideas?

Are these 'hawks intended to be functional? If so, for what purposes?

Yeah, I'd prefer them to be functional. I use them for throwing into logs and stuff. Just having fun with my brothers or whatever. I'm not a competitor or anything. Edited by Zanzetuken

Yeah, I'd prefer them to be functional. I use them for throwing into logs and stuff. Just having fun with my brothers or whatever. I'm not a competitor or anything.

From that I can infer that you want a tough edge that will withstand regular throwing (and perhaps the occasional miss) without breaking, and a hard enough edge to retain enough sharpness to stick -- but you're not looking for 'good' edge retention. Sounds like a job for a medium-to-medium-high carbon steel to me and you'd be well off to avoid 'mild' steels like railroad spikes. JMHO, and remember how much you paid for this advice -- it's worth exactly that! ;-)