I Forge Iron

Cast vs. Forged Anvils?

Why did or do they create cast iron anvils with steel faces? Seems like by the time you do all that work you might as well just pour steel. Especially with the fact that cast will never fetch as much. Is it just because the heat for cast iron is much less? Is that the only factor? Or is it also price of ore? all of the above?

Steel used to be very expensive. Furthermore it was only discovered how to cast steel directly into a useable tool in (I think) the 20th Century; before that 'cast' steel was poured into ingots then forged to shape. So far as I know, no-one produces cast-iron anvils with steel faces (commercially).

Fisher was the last to be casting iron anvils with steel faces, and they've been out of business for over 40 years

Fisher cast their last anvils in the Spring of 1961. Crossley took over at a foundry about one mile away and continued making Fisher anvils until December 1979. They had to discontinue using their iron furnace due to EPA and DEP regulations.

I now own the rights and trademarks to Fisher & Norris. I obtained these in 1999 from the owner of Crossley Machine shop. I hope to have swage blocks cast using original Fisher patterns soon. I probably will not make any anvils due to the complexity of the casting/welding/heat treating process, unless I find a foundry that can do them in the proper steel. So in a way, Fisher is still alive.

Fisher cast their last anvils in the Spring of 1961. Crossley took over at a foundry about one mile away and continued making Fisher anvils until December 1979. They had to discontinue using their iron furnace due to EPA and DEP regulations.

I now own the rights and trademarks to Fisher & Norris. I obtained these in 1999 from the owner of Crossley Machine shop. I hope to have swage blocks cast using original Fisher patterns soon. I probably will not make any anvils due to the complexity of the casting/welding/heat treating process, unless I find a foundry that can do them in the proper steel. So in a way, Fisher is still alive.

Holy crikey, amazing to be talking about this stuff and produce the owner himself. Very cool!! :D