I Forge Iron

New to me anvil

I just got an anvil and forge set up from a re-enactor friend of mine. He bought the things a good time back thinking he wanted to try blacksmithing but it just never took. When he came by my house last week and discovered I was now blacksmithing he offered to sell me his things. The forge I'll post on the forge thread.

Now my question is can anyone tell me about this anvil and possibility it's value. I do see stamped on it the name Fisher with a 10 on 1 leg. It also has an eagle stamped on one side and a date on the back of 1914. As well as some other marks I can't make out. Now the flat space behind the horn is very scared up with the horn it's self pretty well abused too, especially on the underside. On the main face it's not to bad but one side is chipped an 1/8 of an inch give or take almost along it's whole length. The other side it not to bad and with a little work will be usable, I think. Now I put it on an old bathroom scales and it weighted in at 100 lbs. Which surprised me as it's smaller in size to next to my new 100 lb. anvil.

I would also appreciate any advice on how to help restore or clean up this anvil if anyone has any ideas. It was my plan to use a wire wheel and buffing wheel on a hand grinder to try, with out over heating, to work out as many of the cuts and scratches I can. Now I know I want be able to remove a lot of the cuts not with out major work and that's a little above my skill level.
Any way that's the just of it so any help given I'll be gratefully for.

Posting pictures below
Billp

17494.attach

17495.attach

17496.attach

17497.attach

17498.attach

Edited by billp

Looks to be in very good shape to me, I'd put it to work and call it good.

For cleanup I'd maybe wire brush the loose rust off it, warm it up and apply a hard furniture or floor wax. Maybe, MAYBE sand out the marks on the horn after using it to see if they make a difference in performance.

If it looks smaller than your other 100# anvil it's probably a bit wider through the waist or maybe thicker in the feet. A fraction of an inch in width or foot thickness can make quite the difference.

Frosty

You have a Fisher anvil, made in Trenton, NJ, in 1914. The 10 on the leg indicates a 100 lb anvil. The 50, 100 and 150 lb anvils where the most common sizes Fisher made.

Value: worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Yours in in decent condition, although not mint. I would only clean it with a wire wheel, no grinding. You will learn to work around any chips. The horn nicks will not be a problem. Really no need to grind away any of the hard plate unless you want to put it on display and never use it. If you do insist on "cleaning up the nicks" use only a flap type sanding disc on a small offhand grinder lightly. Fisher anvils were typically painted black on the base area, not the working surfaces. Of course, it is yours. Do whatever you want with it. And enjoy working with a great anvil.

Thanks Folks
I'll take your advice and just clean up the rust spots on the face. But no I would never try and grind down any part of an anvil, to afraid of causing even more damage then I fix. I see a lot of cuts on the legs even a spot where some letters or markings were ground or cut or what ever to a point I can't make it out.
As for the size your right Frosty the base is thicker and the anvil is taller by 2 inches then my TFS who's face is wider and longer then the Fisher. I'll say now I payed 300.00 for the anvil and the forge I posted on the forge thread as complete take it or leave it deal. I have never worked a deal like this before buying large blacksmithing equipment so I was a bit unsure about if I was doing the right thing but felt like it wasn't a bad deal. But now I even fell better about things thanks again.
Billp

You did well on the deal. Here in AK the anvil would bring that much give or take and the forge would probably bring in the $400-500 range.

That's Alaska though. You did well for almost anywhere though, the forge is the real deal though. IMHO that is.

Frosty

Fisher's are a great *quiet* anvil and that's a convenient size.

Note that fisher's have a body of cast iron and the face and the horn *top* of high carbon steel---you can really see the transition on the horn area and so you see where you don't want to thin out the horn plate anymore!

The "step" is designed for use as a cutting place with a chisel, no problem that it was used as intended! Many anvils get scarred up bodies as smiths used them to test the temper of tools they were making on them---they were not some holy antique they were a tool in the shop!

That Anvil and That Forge for $300 is a good buy most places!

Get to using them!

Thanks for your information Thomas & Frosty, my friend did say he got the equipment from a blacksmith shop in Memphis, Tn. in mid-town. Most of the people working there were into medieval re-enacting and used the shop to make most of there equipment. So from what you have told me Thomas I'm sure the marks on the step and legs are from testing the cutting edge weapons they may have made. Not to mention other things made on it by other smith who used it over time. As I'm sure the past owners did not acquire this anvil in any type of new condition. Sometimes if tools like this could talk no telling the tells they could tell. Oh and don't worry I'm not grinding on any part of this anvil. I did buff the face, horn, and step which did help smooth out some of the small shallow marks. Then used a wire wheel on the body to remove most of the rust showing some the original color. But no, I what try grinding to smooth out the cuts or chips on this fine old tool. Instead let them stay as a badge of service for it's years of use.
Thanks again guys I do appreciate you help.
Billp

Hay Argetlam, I know Pulaski been through there a time or two. As for a RR rail don't feel bad that's how I started till I could save up to get my first anvil. This deal just fell into my lap as most of the time I never have the money or I'm to late. God just smiled on me on this one.

Yea Frosty, I plan on working out on it as soon as this rain we are having stops. I have started looking for an old man in a long white beard in a big wooden boat to sail by any time now we have had so much rain.

Billp

Edited by billp