I Forge Iron

Blacksmith lessons...

Charging is a different matter. As this will cut into production, I will need at least $350 USD a week to cover my expenses.Opinions?

Our teaching rate is based right off of our shop rate. Our shop projects are based on $30/hr+(210%*materials, consumables, etc); therefore our teaching fee is also $30/hr. This way you know right off the bat that you won't be losing money by using your production time for teaching because they're equal.

Our teaching rate is based right off of our shop rate. Our shop projects are based on $30/hr+(210%*materials, consumables, etc); therefore our teaching fee is also $30/hr. This way you know right off the bat that you won't be losing money by using your production time for teaching because they're equal.

So you just count teaching hours as production hours because that is what you loose?

By a big kit I meant, a variety of available medicants, bandages etc, because we do so many things, we have all the available injuries possible, crushing, burning cutting, gouging, we do it all, and we need appropriate response and materials handy, just my opinion mind you, but just because something has not happened, does not mean it won't, good shop practices can avoid most, but stupidity always finds a way.

In 27 years I had never had a "lost time injury" teaching folk---then the 28th year rolled around---plan for the worst not the best!

Gobae do you drop the price per student for multiple students as they take the same amount of time?

If you teach it's good to have complete sets of equipment for students less forge/tool contention! (which is safer too)

Another reason to have a "complete" first aid kit is insurance rates. The little things make a big difference to "inspectors" who have zero experience with what they're looking at and only have a checklist to evaluate you by.

It's like our home owner's insurance, by installing a class II deadbolt lock on both outside doors for an additional $120 total we save almost $300/yr.

Have fire extinguishers and eye wash stations too. Have basic first aid and safety practices as part of your written curriculum, they're section one of mine.

Little things make big impressions on folk who don't know much about the subject at hand.

Frosty

Gobae do you drop the price per student for multiple students as they take the same amount of time?

Yes, somewhat ($20/hr instead of the usual $30). Our typical shop layout is not conducive to more than 2 students simultaneously. This means we have setup/rearrange time to take into account; which negates much of the savings a student might expect from a "group course".

Another reason to have a "complete" first aid kit is insurance rates. The little things make a big difference to "inspectors" who have zero experience with what they're looking at and only have a checklist to evaluate you by.

It's like our home owner's insurance, by installing a class II deadbolt lock on both outside doors for an additional $120 total we save almost $300/yr.

Have fire extinguishers and eye wash stations too. Have basic first aid and safety practices as part of your written curriculum, they're section one of mine.

Little things make big impressions on folk who don't know much about the subject at hand.

Frosty

I am lucky as I already have fire extinguishers, an OSHA first aid kit and an eye wash station (from the remodel of the school). I will look into the class II dead bolt.

I am lucky as I already have fire extinguishers, an OSHA first aid kit and an eye wash station (from the remodel of the school). I will look into the class II dead bolt.

Ask your insurance agent, s/he'll be able to tell you. I don't know if it'd make a difference in a shop but you'd think it would.

Our savings are on the house deadbolts, even though there is a window in the front door! Go figure eh? :rolleyes:

Frosty

Frosty, I have 4 pairs of barn doors, about half the building is doors. I secure them from the inside with 4 inch round oak logs in steel brackets and enter through a little walk door that only has a "german latch" and a pad lock. It is as secure as I could make it. Now all I got do is remember to close the doors each night! I am a bit lax living in a pocket of the national forest and Camp Frank D. Merrill.

My two cents.....

Space availability for class size dictates alot. Up here a local Artisan/Blacksmith, Sean ( Frontstepforge.com ) held classes of about 5 or 6 people. The class was fri night to sunday late afternoon/evening. There was handouts, demos, a shop tour and explanation of the tools, and we knew what we were going to do during the weekend. It was somewhat structured loosely. He had made it a fun and educational time and made you feel that the $300+ you spent for the course was well worth it. He now does his class at the Tec Collage here and has 3 levels you can take to build your skills and knowledge up. Also, plan to do the course say mid Nov from now or Jan, but at a time that is not only slower but also allows for people to sign up. Do it every 2 or 3 months and if there is not enough intest in an upcoming time don't be afraid to cancel it.

Make sure you have enough equipment for the number of students you plan on having, waiting to use a forge or anvil, or grinder can diminish the experience for students. You may look at having a helper on hand to assist you and the people in the class.

Everyone keeps mentioning a first aid kit and that is good but prevention is key, make sure the students wear the proper clothing, boots, eye and ear protection. Have a set of gloves for each, and make them new, I personally refuse to use another persons gloves or anything else they may sweat in/on ( I am like that at work too).

So I say go for it thecelticforge! Try a few times, see how you like it and what the people taking the course have to say. Share your knowledge, even if the people who take the course just do it to see what it is like to Blacksmith. The rewards could be amazing.