I Forge Iron

Moving Heavy Stuff...what to buy in what order

And don't forget that one indispensable piece of moving equipment, a 2 ton come-a-long. That a bar or two, some pipe rollers, cribbing, a couple chains, a set of chain falls, and a set of heavy duty 8' steel ramps will move anything anywhere given time enough and takes up almost no room when stored. A two wheel dolly is nice as well. Some years back I had to move my 40 x 40 shop and spent the bucks to buy a two wheel dolly that was rated for 1200 lbs. It also has an extra set of wheels that pop out on the back when you push a lever. These wheels allow you to carry a load in the tipped back position without having it come over on you. The extra frame for these wheels is nice to stand on for increased leverage when tipping a heavy load back. I have easily moved a 700 lb wood stove around the shop by myself.

This is one of those questions that has lots of answers depending on exactly what you are doing.

I have moved my 5,200# Monarch lathe with metal rods, and pipes as rollers.

I have winched many an item with cable, and chain come-a-longs.

I have lifted, and moved items with A-frame gantrys.

Used pallet jacks to my advantage several times.

Hand trucks, and ocassionally I even hand carry an item.

What do I usually use now? One of my forklifts. 5K Toyota diesel, 7K Towmotor, and an 8k all terrain Champ.

Used lifts can be purchased inexpensively. The Toyota was $800 on Craigslist, the Towmotor was my first way back- $1,500, and the Champ was $3,500 and worth every penny in time savings it has provided me.

Indoor use only Propane, outdoor gas, and if it is going to set idle for long periods get a diesel since the fuel doesn't go bad. The Toyota had set outside for 2 years without running. Popped 2 batteries in and it fired up on the first cranking. LP freezes the carb when outside in the cold. Gas is convenient, and I would avoid an electric due to cost of batteries, and battery maintenance. Plus when it is dead you just can't fill the battery up with fresh electrons, and fire it up. Same with LP late at night, or on weekends. Gas, and diesel are more available.

Cherry pickers can tip sideways if a load gets off kilter. Keep the wheels spread out. They also don't roll well on rougher concrete.

Casters in general. The bigger diameter they are the easier they roll over small items, cracks, and bumps. Softer wheels do better over obstructions than steel wheels do.

The local U-Pull-It wrecking yard had gantries that you could use to pull engines with. The "casters" were automotive spindles with 15" rims and tires. They rolled really well over the gravel in the yard.

If you plan on doing lifting over the coming years look into a used forklift. I see them quite often on Craigslist for under $2K for a home size. It is one of those items that you wonder, why didn't I get one earlier?

I lifted a 50# little giant into my truck after 76 abana conference. It was in a demo shed (which were pretty sturdy) that had open trusses inside. Me and another guy reasoned that threading a 1 1/2 round bar about 12' long up through the trusses the bar was supported by 5 or more trusses. Not too much for 5 2x8's right ?......... we hooked to the steel bar hoisted the thing with a compound come along high enough to get my truck under it , and who should come along but the park superintendent ! He was NOT happy........But didn't want it back on the floor either so I pulled the truck under it........''All's well that ends well'' ^_^
Getting the thing off my truck at the start of the conference was a sight to behold,7-10 guys who all thought they knew what they were doing pounced on the task an wrangled the thing to the floor. A Chinese fire drill came to mind, I just backed away and watched, I prize my feet.
...........mb

• 1 month later...

I have a tractor with a quick release set-up. I have several attatchments for it, including a pallet forks with a headache rack set up and it has been invaluble....i have moved brick, wood, rocks, neighbors big screen tv and many other items. A fork lift is nice ...but it has only one function...lift. For the same price you can have a tractor that can lift..pull..push..dig..level..mow..etc..etc.. I have moved stuff using pipe rollers, pry bars, Hi-Lift jacks, block an tackle, porta-power units. Use your imagination...talk to others..rent before you buy..it is a good way to find out what stuff works for you and what doesnt without making the commitment to buy it, and most of all BE SAFE..!

• 4 months later...

For what it's worth, ... you can move an amazing variety of equipment, with a "Johnson Bar".

I recently moved my 16" Monarch "CK", from one end of the shop to the other, ( 50' ) using a 3 ton floor jack, and my trusty Johnson Bar.

( It was one of those rare occasions when having some extra lard in your butt, works to your advantage. :D )