I Forge Iron

Just dropped in to say Hi.
Just re-discovered the metalwork bug after nearly 25 years. Used to work with my Dad, who was a pipefitter-welder. When he died, so did my enthieusiasm.
So, anyway. Just dusted off his old oxy-acetylene torch, had it serviced and started welding, been bitten by the bug again, and have just bought an anvil.:)

So, looking forward to pestering people on here for advice as I stumble along.

Welcome aboard Prodigal Son, glad to have you.

Seems like the folk on your side of the pond have already taken you under their wings.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific.

Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like your in no mans land between my old stomping grounds of Yorkshire (West Yorkshire, Pontefract) and John N in Lancashire who still fails to see he was born on the wrong side of the Penines :P
I'm living and working down in the 'big smoke' but there are some very clever blokes still up North. John is one (even if he is Lancastrian) and there are others too like Pete Oberon and Brian Russell, who are both world class.
Contact BABA or look them up and see if there are any members near you. It would be well worth your time.

Ian

Hello, Ian,

If I have it right, you are in England, a place that has inspired me greatly with it's metal working history. My quest is to find an email address, so I may learn more of an object I only once caught glimse of, many years ago. The object is a sphere with decorative piercings and within this ball, a gimbaled candle holder, so when rolled about the castle floor, it will project wonderful patterns on walls, ceiling.

What is this called?
When first written of?
Is this British history?

Cordially, Michael Visser