I Forge Iron

Looking for training or new job oppotunity HELP!!!!!

Hi ,
Ive just joined recently as im interested in taking getting some blacksmithing experience , as i work as a welder but want to find a more creative and rewarding way to make a living - working for the big man is completely unthankful !!!
My question are -
Where is recommended to take a 'taster' course for a few days ? I see a few around but there quite far away [ im in oxford] , and i want to be sure its going to be worth travelling for .
Can anyone offer a few days off hand for training , - some sort of other deal perhaps ?
Any ideas at all really - really want to have a go and see how i get on 1
Thanks , Tom

HI Tom - Im in glos so not far from you - i had trouble finding much right near us in terms of courses - tho hereford is meant to be good if you got the time and money for a full time course. I can really recomend Peat Oberon's short courses in stockton on tees ( i think!) its way up north anyway! - he has website - i did one a couple of years ago and i know he still does them and he is very good. I dont know much to teach you really im still learning im an artist who knows a bit a bout metal but not enough for my liking about blacksmithing:) Let me know though if i can be any help youre welcome to drop by if youre ever in cheltenham:)

Wow , thanks for the quick replies , really good of you all .
Some more info , i can't really afford to do a full time college course again , or indeed go and do evening courses , [ i had seen some at warwick ] as i have to work a rotating day/nightshift - another fine reason to leave . I do admit that a full time course is best , having done a apprenticeship in welding years ago . I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers by appearing to be a welder who thinks he can just pick it up just like that.
Also , if anyone needs welding specific stuff answering i might be able to help.
Thanks again.

Pete's courses are good. I also thororoughly enjoyed the courses I did with Bob Oakes at Cold Hanworth Forge.
Turnpike Forge at Clifton Hampden (near Culham if you don't know South Oxfordshire) are the closest lot I know to you. Several years ago one of their apprentices won apprentice of the year. I have no idea if they'd let you have a go, and as far as I know they don't do taster courses, but give them a ring & talk nicely to them, it's got to be worth a try. :)
WWW.turnpikeforge.com

Edited by Ratel10mm

Hi ,
Ive just joined recently as im interested in taking getting some blacksmithing experience , as i work as a welder but want to find a more creative and rewarding way to make a living - working for the big man is completely unthankful !!!
My question are -
Where is recommended to take a 'taster' course for a few days ? I see a few around but there quite far away [ im in oxford] , and i want to be sure its going to be worth travelling for .
Can anyone offer a few days off hand for training , - some sort of other deal perhaps ?
Any ideas at all really - really want to have a go and see how i get on 1
Thanks , Tom

Sorry I have not replied earlier, but I was away at the Dorset Show for the last round of the National Blackmiths Competition ( National Blacksmiths Competition )

With regards to the Taster day courses, They are many and varied, send me a pm and I can forward you more specific details of our course directly to you.

This course is designed to provide the basic skills and knowledge (including what essential tooling you may need) to take you further in the craft, both when taking more classes in whatever form, (I am talking here about learning opportunities such as shows, competitions, forge ins, and meetings like the one coming up at Frome in Somerset this weekend where blacksmiths are actively showing off their skills, not just formal classes) you will also produce items you can if you wish sell to the public.

You would then be in a position to confidently take on other courses we or others offer.

For the details of our courses and some forging opportunities we offer around the UK at shows we attend, go to our website at Blacksmiths Guild Home and check them out, along with the Craft Shows our Guild attends where the forging competitions are open to all and an opportunity to have a go under the supervision of a highly skilled 'smith on the forge. There are also other benefits for our members.

We do do shows in the Oxford area where you could try forging and find out more about what we have to offer.

You will also see probably the best show of the blacksmiths craft on sale and display to the general public. We promote ALL blacksmiths not just our members.

Its basically down to yourself and how dedicated you are in pursuing what you require within your circumstances and budget.

In qualifying the courses that we as a Guild have been running for over 50 years now, we have members and ex members who have over many past years been National Champion Blacksmiths that have have only ever attended our courses, along with others that have used our courses to either introduce them to the craft, preparing them go to on to colleges or more other training sources, or to boost their knowledge in specific areas after they have left college, including students coming from the USA, Channel Island and the European continent.

Past attendees include many who are now running their own courses

Welcome aboard Tom, glad to have you.

Looks like your countryfolk have taken you well in hand. They also confirmed where roughly you are.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific.

Frosty