I Forge Iron

How 'bout a little good news? Prayers answered...

elkdoc

Recently was offered a 'real job'. One that will draw directly on my training yet still keep me out of the petty politics of academia. AND, they're working with me on finishing my doctorate while I'm there. They created the position for me. I even get to help write my own job description. Talk about blessings falling right in your lap!

Plus, I'll be closer to where I grew up and when my bride of 8 years and I finally start ourselves a family next year, our kiddos will get to be near their grandparents.

Yeehaw!

Ain't God good?

Our good news is regarding our Dacshund (wiener dog) Harley. Harleyt came into our lives a year and half ago at 4 years of age. He has been a perfect fit for everyone in our family except the cat - still some work to there.
Two months ago we came home to Harley being partially imobile and holding his body very stiff. Took him to the Vet and was told that Harley had pinched a disc which was protrouding into his spnal cord cutting off the nerves.
By the next day Harley was totally paralysed on the back end and had no control over his bladder and bowel. After the shock we informed the vets that regardless we were not giving up on Harley and putting him down or givining him away. We would deal with whatever came along with this.
Now, two months later, Harley has control of his bladder and bowel and is walking and running again. He is not 100% but hey, anything is better for him. The vets are very impressed with his recovery. Harley looks a little funny when he walks and runs - the front end works fine, but the back end looks like he has had a few beers, tracking sideways and stumbling a bit.
Through it all Harley never lost his zest for each day and all that it brought.
A real lesson for us all.

Brian in Ottawa

Congratulations, Elkdoc! May I ask what your 'training' is?

You may indeed. My 'training' is as a wildlife scientist. Lots of study design, research statistics, and science advocacy has been hammered into me over the course of my doctoral work.

When it comes right down to it, though, I like to play with critters in the dirt. LOL...