I Forge Iron

Flatters: Do you use them?

I guess the answer is depends. I have yet to use my standard handled flatters on an anvil, but a flatter designed for use in powerhammers is real handy.

Flatters are on the list of tools for a possible upcoming hammer making class at the local guild. So I guess we will find out how to use them, with sledge hammers. :D

Yes, when appropriate like when I need a nice uniformly flat surface. I've used one on each of the few knives I've made for instance.

I use my swage block more often but I use flatters. I'd probably use them more often if I had a striker and I do plan on making a couple for the power hammer.

Frosty

I use a smaller flatter quite often myself and have a larger one more suited for use with a striker, but either one produces good effect with a 4 - 6 lb hammer. They sometimes help to straighten as well as flatten items that need it. Used in conjunction with a swage block, you can get neat half rounds.

I don't have one. When I was younger and I left hammer marks on the metal, I would get popped on the back of the legs with a piece of 1/4 round by grandfar. I learned that there are metal moving blows with the hammer and softer flattening blows. It has been habit with me. Many people like to see hammer marks so they can say that the work was hand forged. I compromise: I put uniform hammer marks on the piece.