I Forge Iron

Show me your hardie tools

Glenn

There has been a lot of discussion about hardie tools, so it is time to show us what you got, what you made, and what works for you. Photograph those hardie tools and give us some ideas on hardie tools we need in our shop.

To start things off is a bending fork made my Irnsrgn

and I'll take one of those....and one of those......and that one there....oooo, and that good looking one......

VERY nice collection Divermike

most of my hot and cold cuts are made from tool steel. the steel came in as 12" - 24" dia " 3' - 6' long bars. The bars were then bored out and I got the cores. Visit your local Down Hole drilling bits machine shop.

I made a very nice swage from an old sledge hammer head that I cut in half, and used a hand grinder to put the final shape on it. To finnish it off I welded a hardy shank to it. It is a very strong design, but you have to give up a hammer head to make one.

• 2 weeks later...

All you people with "normal" anvils have it made. I have one of the great russian cast-steel HF anvils with the infamouse diagonal hardy hole, so just about all of my tools are self-made. From my C-frame guillotine to the trailer hitch ball with angle welded to the shank for slop. Oh yeah, two things; the hole is barely a milimeter over 1 1/8 inch and the anvil actually weighs in at a touch over 114 lbs - not the 110 they were advertised with. And this is after slight modifications to the horn and power-discing off the horrid mill marks.

I typically use heavy-wall 1 inch tubing slightly flattened out, or I go to the local Agri-Supply and get a section of farm trailer drive axle that just happens to be 1 1/8 inch square. not cheap but easier that looking for a chunk at the scrap-yard.

I have pictures of individual tools in my gallery.
Paul

17093.attach

17094.attach

17095.attach

Edited by Pault17
add'l info