I Forge Iron

Sustainable energy

Bryce Masuk

I've had real good luck with a Xantrex 1500w portable power inverter and a 20w solar panel.

I've used it on many occasions where I'm doing private blacksmithing demos where there's no power available.

The inverter runs a goodly amount of household items as well as a pretty broad range of power tools and is compact and fairly weather proof.
I've had mine for about 6 years and it's still going strong!

The 20w solar panel is a little wimpy for a quick recharge but works ok for my purposes.

Here's a link with info
Xantrex XPowerpack 1500 Inverter W/60ahr Agm Battery 802-1500 8021500

Try and stay away from sites selling specifically solar or alternative power solutions. They're usually seriously over-priced for this unit. You should be able to find one for around $350.00 - 400.00. I got mine at a local sporting goods store.

The bit problem with any "sustainable" power source/supply is ... storage. How do you store up that energy from production, till you have the need. And what to do when the sun don't shine, wind blow, or not enough water flowing - or you run out of fuel for the engine running a generator. That's the big problem.

Most use some sort of battery - especially those large deep-cycle batteries used in golf carts and forklifts. Even the big batteries used in large trucks.

A few people use the extra energy to charge batteries, compress air, pump water to higher places, or even generate hydrogen and oxygen.

It all depends upon your needs and how you use things. The obvious solution for most people is to generate electricity when you can, and then sell the excess back to the power company. That way you can still "buy" power from then when you need it, and get paid (wholesale pricing) for what you sell them.

As you have probably already noticed, there are no easy answers. Each situation is different.

Hope these few rambling thoughts help.

Mikey

A lot of people use those 1/2 barrel windmills to help keep part of their farm ponds ice free in winter. They mount it on a floating platform and put a standard boat propeller on the end sticking down into the water. The wind turns the the whole thing, and the propeller pushes water up. That "moving water" helps keep a section of the pond free of ice and helps add air to it. This helps the fish in the pond survive over winter when ice would seal off the whole pond and suffocate the fish. You can get a lot of torque from such a wind mill.

Mikey

if your looking for something for a blacksmithing workshop in the middle of nowhere. how about a hybrid forge? a forge thats also a boiler that runs a turbine, and charges batteries wich run low wattage lights and have a DC motor on your blower, dosnt sound too hard to do