I Forge Iron

Need HELP! finding a forge for some hammer time in Ohio

Im currently living in Troy, Ohio while I attend school at Hobart Institute of Welding Technologies. I was talking to one of my instructors and he said something about SOFA being near where Im staying. Can/will anybody tell me if I can get in on some forging?? I havent been able to do any for a while because of being busy with school and not having any room for my equipment since I moved. If it helps and/or for anyone near here, I am staying on route 41 about 10 minutes out of east Troy in the country. Since Im away from home and dont know of anything to do between 4P-10P, I would love it if I could get some hammer time in.

Thank you,
-Hillbilly

If I recall from my trip to Quad-State last fall, you are within rock-throwing distance of where SOFA meets regularly and where Quad-State is held. Matter of fact, coming in we turned right by your school. You should contact someone from SOFA and ask about their meetings at the fairgrounds.

I think later this month they are having a bladesmithing get together of sorts. Check their website for contact information. The Quad-State roundup will be happening in just over a month. Just got my packet in the mail for registration.

Yup Miami County Fairgrounds, meetings monthly and *forges* and even powerhammers available for use when I was last a member. We used to drive 2 hours each way for meetings from Columbus---carpools make it cheaper and fun!

Meetings can deal with an 18 month old, though you may want to go in the back room when/if they use a powerhammer at the demo. They have their own building so meetings are indoors year round!

Note that you can probably find someone at the meeting that will let you use their forge that is even closer than the meeting site!

And if you don't show up for Quad-State then you are seriously out of it!

I was talking to one of my instructors and he said something about SOFA being near where Im staying. Can/will anybody tell me if I can get in on some forging??

Thank you,
-Hillbilly

I just used google maps to figure directions from your school, to the fairgrounds. You are 1/2 (.5) mile away from the fairgrounds (plus whatever distance you live from the school, if that is where you are headed from).

Get over there on one of the open forge nights and get to hammering! If I were that close, I'd be there every chance I got. As Thomas stated, they have a shop available with everything needed to hammer.

I was checking out the SOFA site and I see that theres a form you download to fill out to become a member.... Well, since Im away at school, I dont have access to a computer off hand (Im using my cell phone) so I cant download the form. If there is anyone who reads this that is a current member of SOFA, do you think that there would a problem if I were to show up on one of the open forge nights with some cash and fill out the form then and go from there?? In the mean time, Ill see what I can do about getting to a computer to print off the form.

-Hillbilly

Edited by Hillbillysmith

I am not a current SOFA member; but I was one for nearly 15 years when I lived in OH and unless there has been a lot of changes there would not be any problem with that scenario. Just make sure you have a copy of the form to hand as they may not have one printed out either!

SOFA has always been one of the nicest groups to be a part of; very helpful indeed!