I Forge Iron

Forging a Hammer

All you have to do is hold the material under the dies then hit it, and it practically makes itself.

Mark, the striker in the pictures, has been helping me after he gets off work for a little over a year now. He used to think he could never do this stuff. Now he knows how simple it is, and he can do it just as well as I can. We made four 1 1/2" fullers last night in less than 2 hours, and they are more involved than a hammer. We are making him his own set of tools so he will be able to do this when I leave.

Another nice set of self explanatory pics making another great tutorial.

The only question I have is about the flatter in the first pic. Is it a fuller with a plate welded on or am I missing something?

Thanks again Brian.

Frosty

Yes, Frosty, it is a top swage with a plate welded to it. It's my brother, Ed's. He got it years ago from Spike, a guy that used to sell blacksmithing tools. Spike had wooden boxes full of top swages that weren't selling, so he started selling them as flatters.

I use it when it's availiabe to make a center mark on round stock. It has a 3" face, so it reaches across my hammer blank when I turn it diagonally. That's the first hit. If you have a power hammer, you do the same thing on flat dies to mark the center of round stock.

A good use for an otherwise unused top swage. I have a number of them and the number of times I've used one can be counted on one hand. The least used smithing tool I own I think.

By marking center I assume you mean making parallel flats top and bottom on the hammer blank to act as a platform for marking, slitting and drifting accurately?

Thanks again.

Frosty

Hi Brian!

In your video you used a flatter for one face and a concave bottom tool on the other side for making a rounding hammer's convex and flat faces. How do you make your fullering hammer's faces? You mentioned somewhere ( I think WCB) that you gave them different convex faces; one is very clear in one of the pictures (like a straight pein only a lot wider) but can't see if the other face is flat or is radiused in a cross pein direction. Do you have any top view picture of it?

Thank you very much!

Rub

16433.attach

16434.attach

The pictures show both the faces. The first is the fullering side, and the second is the flat face. The edges are just rounded quite a bit.

I make the fullering side in a swage block with a 3" diameter the same way I forge the round face in the video with a flatter on top with the swage on the bottom.