I Forge Iron

Tempering a sword question

First I do not consider myself a "bladesmith" in any way. I make the odd knife for the kitchen or workshop and that is it so my question is just from curiosity.

A few weeks ago there was a link to a video posted that showed a sword made and at the end the maker flexed it and really bent it and it sprung straight back to shape. If the sword had a differential temper to have a springy "body" and a hard edge why doesn't the hard edge break off when the sword is flexed?

Once again, this is for interests sake only on my part.

Thanx

Good question. I'd guess that the heat treatment which left the spine soft also softened the edge enough that it was not brittle hard.

I know that in the blade testing for master knife making they bend knives to a right angle and require them to have a certain degree of return and limit the amount of damage to the cutting edge from that treatment.

The ABS test is designed to show one knows how to control the heat treat of the chosen steel. Nothing wrong with making a blade to flex 90 degrees, but it is not needed for most. I rarely make a sword too hard at the edge anyway.

On a side note: Very few people are able to sharpen a 3 foot long razor safely, even fewer are able to use a razor sharp sword safely.

Edited by mod07

I made a lot of highly abused products (demolition tools) and came to have a great deal of respect for straight high carbon steel (1095 in my case) and it's really unique properties.

When carbon steel it hardened it expands. This can be seen readily in the quenching of a Samuri sword. It goes into the quench straight and comes out with a graceful curve. By using clay on the backside they achieve hardening only on the edge.

When a straight carbon steel is quenched "overall" it only is able to harden to a shallow depth. This means that only the surface has expanded which puts the core is tremendous tension. (these forces can lead to cracking before tempering). So now we have a near "compound" material with the core it tension and shell in compression. A near ideal situation for a structural piece.

Have you ever paid attention to concrete pilings being driven? How the heck can brittle ol' concrete flex like that? It's amazing to see. Well, they have tension cables running through them placing the concrete under compression. When they are subjected to a bending force the surface cannot be put in tension until that compressive force is relieved, otherwise it would crack.

You see where I'm going with this, right? The EXACT same physics applies to our carbon steel with it's core in tension and the shell in compression. You can't produce tension on the surface that would cause cracking until you've relieved all the compression it's under from the core. This greatly extends the range of flexure that the blade can take without cracking or "taking a set".

S.T.O.C.K. from

Edited by nakedanvil

The historic fencers i know that meet at Denistone (one comes from your way too, Rob) prefer flex/bending to edge holding. A lot safer (fewer chips and breaks) and the edge cops a real hiding in bouts. Soo i imagine differential hardening is not a priority there.
Grant; i've never seen concrete pilings being (pile) driven, does the upper end free from the ground wave around? Is this the flex you refer to? In Aus i've heard of 'pre-stressed' concrete members; is this the same as the cable reo in the piles you refer to?
Regards
Andrew O'C

In south Louisiana almost everything is on pilings. It is amazing to watch concrete being done than way. Our Interstate highways in and around New Orleans are set on driven concrete pilings.
The thing that is most astonishing is that the end that get the pounding doesen't crumble. It takes a beating sure but not like you think it might.