I Forge Iron

Courtesy In Posting

Thanks for bringing this up; I note often that someone will ask a question...two or three pages of questions and or answers will be added and the person that started the thread does not return. Not even sure if they looked at the work that was done on their behalf.

I on the other hand find it discourteous as it provides a "false positive" for "new postings" and on weekends I have to access this through a slow dial up line---our unincorporated hamlet doesn't even have T1 to it!. (worst of all are forums where folks have pictures as part of their sig lines and I have to wait while 10 copies of a stupid picture that has nothing to do with the forum downloads and as a moderator of that forum I feel I have a duty to keep abreast of it!)

I much prefer new posts to have new info in them. I have no problem with throwing info out into the aether as I realize that it may provide help to many more people than the original.

I try to edit the larger pics into thumbs to help with the Dial up up problem, but I sometime mess up an lose a picture, even have gotten Emails complaining that they want large pics for "detail" as if they never learned that they can click on the thumb for larger pics if they wish?

There are many on Dial up. The staff does have a life outside of the forum and downloading and resizing and re-uploading all the photos takes time and it may take a few days.

Sorry maybe we can get everyone to stop posting so large a pics on photobucket and linking them here. If they would just use this forums Upload photo feature at the bottom of the post area they are already using, it would make it easier for all of us, as that places a thumb at teh end of the post, and allows for larger viewing as needed.

I have been informed about people that can not get a page to load, as they time-out because of so many over size photo's.

Another thing is: please make your thread title meaningful. The machinist forum just deletes threads with meaningless titles. That's not done here so it makes it even more important.

Thomas: I agree the thread can still have value to many, I was just talking courtesy.

Edited by nakedanvil

• 7 months later...

Grant,

I know that this post is "old", just found it - Thanks for all that you do for us in sharing your knowledge. Like many others I really do appreciate your insight. Not only that, but I also enjoy the willingness of so many other people to share their experiences and knowledge. It makes the learning so much easier. It is like online blacksmith school!

Tim

Tim;
A grand thanks to you for taking the time and trouble to ever so politely thank Grant for reminding us to take the time to thank....sigh.
Grant may be polite; but he's a hell of an excellent smith despite that.
Thanks Grant!