I Forge Iron

Kewl VIDEO

How is what he is wearing any mor dangerous than a Cotton apron? Did you look at the rest of the videos by the same poster. They were really moving making a tool that is not that simple a tool to make while that pretty simple tooling.

I use loose blocks under my hammer all the time. You do have to be carefull and to think about what could cause blocks to go flying. The one loose bottom tool that he used was a bottlom swage which had the stock holding it in place especially with the set hammer on top of the stock. The other was the snapper that he used cutting off the stock which I would think the bigger danger would be of the offcut flying if he had the side set a little too far over the snapper, however there was no one standing over there, as well he seemed be pretty skilled in that task. The sleeves looked no looser than many long sleeve shirts I wear in the winter.

The only things I saw that I felt were a little unsafe were using a hand hammer on the bottom hie on a running hammer and the lack of hearing protection.

Just a well skilled blacksmith going about his business. Hand hammering right there saves going back and forth to the anvil. He's got the moves down, for sure. Looks Indian or maybe Pakistani, not Arab (And how would that explain ANYTHING?). Look at what he's doing, not his ethnicty. Does not seem speeded up to me, the hammer is running at a reasonable speed, can't imagine that it actually goes slower than that..

What it DOES explain is how many workers in other countries are willing to work to feed their families. From what I've seen around the world, even if wages were even, they'd have a three to one advantage just because of the way they are willing to work. See the same thing in this country............in hundred year old movie clips!

I'm with JNewman, I used loose tooling under hammers for more than thirty years. Ya gotta pay attention either way. Never used ear protection and had audiological testing every year without any loss. 99% of accidents are caused by inattention or trying to go faster than you are able.

Edited by nakedanvil

it matches what I have seen of a lot of Arabs here in Iraq. Xxxx hard workers and pretty good at what they do when they are of a mind to do it. a lot of their shops are rather primitive and limited on equipment, but that does not stop em from putting out some pieces Id like to have. Ive also noticed a lot of these folks do seem to have a really different attitude about safety equipment.

I've never been to the mid-east, bet it's pretty interesting. Probably not far from what I've seen in Africa and Asia. Just folks, trying to get by doin' what they can with what they got. That guy in the video looks like he might even have his own shop. Doesn't look like a factory, looks like a small shop. My attitude on safety is shown in my signature.

Thanks for putting this up Sweany. Very neat. These guys know what they are doing. The sequence showing the boxjoint pliers being put together is great.

If you click on the persons name that posted these videos to youtube you will see that his 'hometown' is listed as USA but his 'country' is listed as Pakistan. Probably where they were taped.

Boy, from the descriptions most of you wrote, I thought he had loose die blocks, sleeves and tales from his shirt fly all over the place. That was a well executed example of efficiency. He has the moves go'in on!!!

True example of a blacksmith, clever, efficient and resourceful.