I Forge Iron

Cowboy Bar-B-Que Fork

I saw civilwarblacksmith's cowboy hat in the gallery, and the blacksmith group I'm a member of has a monthly meeting that is next weekend and the trade item is a bar-b-que utensil so this is what I came up with. Its made from a piece of 1/2 in square stock, and the hat is a piece of sheet metal.

15958.attach

15959.attach

15960.attach

A quick way to make the end look like a "cowboy hat" is to use an iron washer. Get a large/wide one, and thin - or hammer it out thin. Then slip it down over the end of your rod which should be hot, and tap the end to swell it out a bit to lock that washer in place. A little heat and you can ... curl the brim ... to your liking.

If you are welding, have one washer curled as needed, and then tack on 1/2 of another washer perpendicular to the other washer to form the crown of the hat on the brim formed by the other washer. Instant cowboy hat. And people will easily see the image you are creating.

And when making up a cowboy figurine, use some horse shoes. One becomes the legs - very bow-legged. 1/2 of a shoe tack upright from the top becomes the body - with that washer hat on top. And 1/3 of two different shoes form the arms when tacked on the sides. A bit of stiff wire tacked up from one "arm/hand" becomes a twirling lasso. And if you put some brass rivets through the nail holes on the "legs", you have conchos on his chaps. For a base, just tack the legs onto another horse shoe, but angle things slightly for that sculptural appeal. And a strip of colored clothe/ribbon tied around below the hat really sets it off and "finishes" the look.

Just a way to make a quick sculpture from a few old horse shoes.

Mikey

Edited by Mike Ameling