I Forge Iron

Wolf Jaw Tongs - Which brand?

Hey,

I was wanting to try out one of the wolf jaw tongs as many people seem to like them. I was just curious which brands people are using that they like.

So far I have found these 6 brands and don't have a clue as to which one to try:

Blacksmiths Depot |OC Wolf Jaw Tongs

Peddinghaus 5/16" Wolfs Jaw Tongs, 15-1/2" Rein Length-Centaur Forge

Centaur 3-3/4" Wolfs Jaw Tom Tongs, 15" Rein Length-Centaur Forge

Blacksmiths Depot |MOB - Universal Tongs

Blacksmithing Tools from the Ozark School Of Blacksmithing : Wolf Jaw Tong - Large

Blacksmiths Depot |Peddinghaus - Wolf Jaw

Without being able to see them in person I am leaning towards the OC Brand or one of the Peddinghaus. Let me know what you guys think are good ones.

Thanks
Greebe

I have about 2dz of TomTongs and are very pleased with them. BUT, I do not have any of his wolf jaw tongs. If they are as good as his other tongs (and I don't see why they wouldn't be) you can't wrong. IMO. I'm sure which ever brand you choose you will be happy tho.

I'd go with Blacksmith's Depot OC tongs. They are exceptional in quality at a very reasonable price, and they are made in America. They also have the most varied selection of other types of tongs. I've used them for several years and some of the others you listed, and Off Centered tongs is the best deal I've seen out there.

Why thank you, Brian. What can I say? I make the best tong with the best warranty in the world. Made in U.S.A. not Pakistan. I don't care if you burn 'em up in the fire, smash them in a power hammer or drive over them with a Mack truck, I'l replace them.

Off Center Products
"We've upped our quality, now up yours"

Why thank you, Brian. What can I say? I make the best tong with the best warranty in the world. Made in U.S.A. not Pakistan. I don't care if you burn 'em up in the fire, smash them in a power hammer or drive over them with a Mack truck, I'l replace them.

Off Center Products
"We've upped our quality, now up yours"

I didn't know you had such a great warranty or such a catchy slogan. That's great!
One of the most frequently asked questions I get when I'm out and about is, What tongs do you recommend?, and I've always recommended your tongs. Well, except for that 8 months I was traveling with Tom Clark, of coarse. The subject never came up then, and he did insist that I exchange all of my old OC tongs for new Tom Tongs. Believe it or not, I am telling the truth, and I still say Your tongs are the best deal out there. And now I can tell everyone they are even a better deal.
Now, I am not dishing Tom or his tongs or trying to get anyone to buy any certain tong. I'm just giving you all my opinion because someone asked. I told Tom the same thing when he asked.
P.S. Grant do you think you could make and market a pick up tong like the ones I posted in "Hammer making tongs". I've been doing some hammer making classes and people want to buy them from me, but I'd rather buy them than have to make them by hand.

I don't really use wolf jaw tongs-don't like them personally. I do own about 15 pairs of OC tongs-great product-almost indestructible. I like to make my own, but as a working smith if it takes me an hour to make a pair of tongs they cost me 65 bucks plus materials-and I like to keep my production up. I must say that I do like to make my own tools though-satisfies the inner smith so to say. It's even better when you have to make a tool to make a tool.I do have a dozen or so that I made myself.
Mark Emig

Hey thanks for all the replies. I just moved out of Nome and sold off most all of my blacksmithing tools. I just need a few starter tongs to help me get started working metal again.

I was searching around here in Elkins for some bar stock to make a few sets of tongs, but haven't located a source all that close yet.

I was thinking that it would be nice to have a several general purpose tongs such as the wolf jaws until I get around to making a few pairs.

I think I will get one of the OC versions. I like USA made and lifetime warranties.

Thanks
Greebe

• 2 weeks later...

How about trying to make on of them, I usually do because I look at the prices and say wow I can make one for cheaper than that. Besides making your own tools adds a whole new cool facter to every thing.

Angus....

Yep I actually decided to order a few and them make a pair of them. I have both sides made and just need to punch and rivet them. I ran out of fuel while I was in the process and need to get the forge up and running again.

Thanks
Greebe