I Forge Iron

centaur forge anvils

Check out the anvil that are on sale on ebay. The anvil that I bought only cost me 75 buck. I got a good deal on an a decent anvil for less than the cheapest anvil over a hundred pounds.

rt now there are two three anvils over 200 lbs going for less than $2.00 /lb. The same seller I bought mine from. Mine was exactly as advertised.

I would check with you local blacksmithing group or blacksmiths. The prices will be a lot cheaper, no shipping, than if you by of a site on the net. Plus checking local you get to meet other folks with similar interests, blacksmithing!!!!!

Rob,

I have and currently use a 70# Cliff Carrol anvil. It is a farrier anvil and that is what I bought it for. I don't shoe many horses anymore, but it works o.k. for light blacksmith work.

If this type of anvil is what you are looking for, do as Rich suggested and look at a local farrier supply. Shipping is expensive on this kind of stuff.

A quick search for South Carolina turned up Monetta Farrier Specialties

I don't know how close they are to you, but could be worth a shot.

I just looked at Monetta Farrier Specialties website, under their anvil selection, they carry NC tool anvils. Very comparable to Cliff Carrol. Take a look at the NC big face, it is very similar to the Cliff Carrol wide face anvil. If you can spend the little extra money, you may opt for a JM 70 # anvil. A little bit better anvil in my opinion.

Not finding many used anvils in your area?

Rob-o you don't say where in SC. In the past yr I have gotten 2 H-Bs a 142lb in greenville and a 88lb at the Chesnee flea market. $310 total price. Don't be in a big hurry. Have found 2 vulcans 2 mouseholes 2 hay buddens and a trenton within 100 miles
of Asheville.
Ken

If you are not a farrier I would skip looking at farrier anvils for general blacksmithing. They tend to be on the high side pricewise too.

If you go out and beat the bushes you can probably find a good anvil for much less; shoot my 515# Fisher was only $350 and it was in mint condition.

Rob-o you don't say where in SC. In the past yr I have gotten 2 H-Bs a 142lb in greenville and a 88lb at the Chesnee flea market. $310 total price. Don't be in a big hurry. Have found 2 vulcans 2 mouseholes 2 hay buddens and a trenton within 100 miles
of Asheville.
Ken

EXACTLY!!! Put a classified ad in a few papers, go to car swap meets (talk to anyone who is selling tools to find out if they have any anvils, leg vices or forges - many have them but don't bother to bring them with), hit the antique shops (not the pretty ones, the ones that look more like farm junk collections).

130 lb Vulcan - $60
132 lb HB & 3 leg vices - $150
~330 lb HB - $600

None of these are in "new" condition but are in overall very good shape.

Also get a leg vice if you find one. imho.....