I Forge Iron

What could I do with this?

Last week I took about a 1/2 ton of scrap steel to the local yard & traded it for about 40 pounds of usable steel. I couldn't bear to part with this piece though.

It is the gear housing from an old tractor-mounted auger. Initially I was thinking of a firepot for a new forge down the road. I could cut out that piece of internal structure. Still, that bowl shape doesn't have much of an internal taper and I'm just not sure if it would work - plus that hole in the side would need to be covered. Could air be pushed in from the side?

I'm beginning to think that this may be more trouble than it's worth. Still, I hate to just give it up without a fight. Does anybody have any ideas on what it could be used for?

Dimensions are about 10 inches in diameter, 5 inches high and the walls are maybe 3/8 inches thick. Cast iron/steel.

Thanks,
Joe

15708.attach

15709.attach

15710.attach

15711.attach

15712.attach

Some nice shapes on it for a swage. Just keep it in the corner and you will probably be surprised how often it gets used.

As for a firepot, a bit of adobe to put in a gentle taper and cover the side hole and use the bottom hole for the air supply. Easy.

I would totally turn that into a bottom blast or side blast brake drum style forge. Why not. It's begging to be a forge. Just cut out whatever is in your way and weld up anything that creates a problem. You could even weld some legs onto that. This part you have is way better then my coal brake drum forge. I'd weld some legs onto it make it look like a spider. Call it the spider forge. hehe

im with avadon - it would make a brill little side blast forge - and if it doesnt no probs - leave it lying about as suggested till something else strikes you. wouldnt throw it out tho! maybe some outdoor cooking use?? brazier? camping oven? fire bowl?

Thats some piece Joe, what yard let you trade scrap? Maryland Metals? BTW the I got the shop, bout 75% put together.

Actually it was a 2 part trade. I was just trying not to be too wordy (I generally fail). The metal was sold at Conservit (they won't sell to you) and then I bought more at MD metals. They sell new steel at the facility just off Burhans blvd and let you buy scrap from the yard there for 25 cents a pound. Their yard has a lot less scrap than Conservit these days but is still worth a gander. Their prices for square stock are competetive. One exception though. If you want quarter inch square bar they charge $12 or so for a 10 ft. piece. Foltz Manufacturing downtown charges just over $9. That stuff is handy especially for demos as it is just the right size for small hooks & keychains etc.

Glad to hear the shop is about finished. I'm in the neighborhood more ofthen than you think because my mother-in-law lives over your way so maybe I'll stop by soon and take a gander.

I suspected so, I've tried like the dickens to get Conservit to let me pick through their yard without success. I've been eyeing up that scrapyard on eastern blvd up too, I just havent gotten over there to check it out yet. And yeah, I dig MD Metals and Foltz, they used to have incredible prices on thier w1 drill rod. you're welcome any time, the old truck is in the driveway.

Edited by rfb343
fergot sumthan

The scrapyard on Eastern blvd. is one of Maryland Metals. That's where you go to sell scrap to them, but I'm pretty sure they won't let you pick through that one either. It must be a liability thing with all the heavy machinery running. Still, it pains me to see so much usable steel that could be had for 25 cents a pound!