I Forge Iron

graphite pad on grinder platen

Folks: am using the Grizzly Knife Grinder, which has graphite padding on the platen. This pad wears down easily and becomes very uneven, which affects the flatness of items I am trying to grind perfectly flat.

Have tried operating the grinder without the graphite padding, and found out what a difference this makes in the resistance against the belt (I can easily bogg down the 1 hp motor. I even snapped a belt. Interestingly it didn't break at the seam.)

What are your experiences with this and is there a good workaround? I read somewhere that someone used a ceramic backing with success, in lieu of the graphite.

Thanks!

Good point. I seem to remember some discussion about whether it's necessary to flatten the platen before gluing on a ceramic or whether enough JB Weld will fill the gaps without leading to the platen cracking. With a new KMG-1, I didn't have this problem so never thought about it much.

In any case it's good practice to add some sort of little shelf below the ceramic so that a glue failure doesn't lead to lots of high speed sharp glass pieces headed your way! (that said, I didn't do that and haven't had a problem but please don't feel that you should follow my bad example)

Although I ordered the recommended ceramic platen liner, I have to wonder what's wrong with a cut piece of leftover ceramic floor tile? It's smooth (i.e. low drag), and dammed straight. Why not just epoxy a 2X10 strip of that on the metal platen?

Another thing I'm not gettng is the so-called lip below the ceramic liner. If the epoxy fails, I don't see how any form of catch (lip) could work well, at least any kind of lip that wouldn't severely interfere with grinding. So if someone can make that more clear to me it would be much appreciated.

Pardon my confusion

Your local glass company will also probably be able to cut you a piece of the pyrex fireplace door ceramic that the knife supply places are selling for way too much money. At least when I was in the glass bus. we had the stuff. I'm going to check my local glass shops and see if they still carry it.

I just use a pice of O1 ground flat stock (not heat treated) behind the belt, its holding up pretty well. (I chamfered the edges where the belt runs in, and off it, and a very slight rad on the edges. I use 2" GFS, with 50mm wide belts, so I can track the belt very slightly off each side to neaten the plunge cuts on knives. (ie the belt doesnt hang off both sides of the platten at once)

Ive heard of folks using a slice from bathroom / kitchen tile aswell. sounds like the ideal low cost solution to me!

• 3 months later...