I Forge Iron

Anvil for bladesmithing

Avadon

You can use a 15 lb section of RR track, a large sledge hammer head mounted in a stump, a 4"x4" block of mild steel etc etc

For blade smithing, you will do fine with something 10-20 lbs, mounted securely into a stump.
Saw maker's anvils are typically just a block of good steel, The Neo Tribal bladesmiths like a 4"x4" piece of mild plate secured in a bucket of concrete
Of course if you plan on forging swords or battle axes, something larger and wider will do better.

Avadon are you planning on forging sloyd knives, ulus, katanas, mediaeval broadswords, rapiers, axes, bayonets, arrowheads, pocketknives, Bowie knives... size matters. Similarly are you planning on forging them from appropriate materials or display pieces from mild steel, stainless steel, aluminium, titanium etc.

I use a 20 solely for bladesmithing and I really want to get something heavier. it drives me crazy having so little space to work with. The face on a twenty isn't big enough for anything longer than nine inches or so to be worked comfortably. I'm looking into a 125 or so right now.

Well i was more curious about making some generic anvils that are mildly portable for some friends. I have some hard facing left over and was thinking about cutting up some 4x4 or 5x5 sq rod and hard facing it and putting some feet on it. Before asking I was thinking about the 25-50lb range. Any reccomends would be appreciated. Since I dont' know what people would make on them I can't say what kinda knives they would make.

Avadon, I would suggest a 5"x5" square and a weight of about 100#. Make the stand with some height adjustment.
Chris, you can forge any size blade you want on a 5"x5" square. With the short heat of blade steel, you can only work small area at a time.

Yah i've seen some height adjustment setups. Is the ole welded feet with lags into a stump just not all that great? I guess without height adjustment it means you have to find the right size stump or chainsaw it to your size. But I guess boards cut to fit may actually make that easy. See the size adjustment setups mean that your 5x5x? is only a good of a mass as the size adjusting supports it's on. It's kinda like suspending an anvil in the air. Not really the ideal. That is unless you have some nifty idea on size adjustment that still keeps that mass tight to it's earthbound anchor.

Avadon, as far as mounting an anvil, every one has their own preference. I assure you the method seen in my photos will work very well. My stand weighs about 100# and sits on a crushed stone floor. After the post was placed in the stand, thin wood wedges were driven between the post and the angle iron frame. There is nothing hanging in air. Your idea of welding feet to the post and mounting to wood will work also. My Hay Budden anvil sits on an oak log base on the same floor. My Mouse Hole anvil sits on a stacked wood base.

I almost forgot to ask.. what is the advantage of an 'adjustable height' bladesmithing anvil?

and is it anymore necessary in bladesmithing then blacksmithing to have this adjustable height?

Bump: :) Can someone please answer this? Is it just to accommodate the placement of the bladesmithing anvil on various heights of floor or earth?

(if so how come people don't do this with regular anvils?) :confused:

If you have a single person smithing in your smithy, it's not much of a help. Yes it can help if you sometimes break down large stock with a sledge (and so want the anvil a bit lower) and then go on to do bladesmithing and want the anvil a bit higher); but it's not that big of a deal---a piece of 2x12 on the floor will accomplish the same thing (stand on it when working big stock with big hammers)

If you run a teaching forge, then having anvils at different heights for different students is pretty much a must. Teaching up to 6 students at the same time I have a number of anvils all at different heights and sometimes they have to share if two need the same height anvil.

Edited by ThomasPowers

If you have a single person smithing in your smithy, it's not much of a help. Yes it can help if you sometimes break down large stock with a sledge (and so want the anvil a bit lower) and then go on to do bladesmithing and want the anvil a bit higher); but it's not that big of a deal---a piece of 2x12 on the floor will accomplish the same thing (stand on it when working big stock with big hammers)

If you run a teaching forge than having anvils at different heights for different students is pretty much a must. Teaching up to 6 students at the same time I have a number of anvils all at different heights and sometimes they have to share if two need the same height anvil.

Ahh okay, it's just me, all day/everday, and will always be just me and my own anvil is for me primarily for bladesmithing. So would you suggest not going out of my way fabricating something adjustable?

I suppose with the adjustable it all is support by some grade 8 bolts or something in notches? :confused: