I Forge Iron

Hello from Iraq or whereever I might be...

Hello, I am an amateur knife maker looking to expand my skill set. I stumbled across this site and forum and have been looking around for a few day. I am in the Navy and I am currently deployed to Iraq. I am a husband and father. If you want to know anything else, just ask...

Thank you for your contribution to our freedom.

Do you have access to the tools in the ship's machine shop? Do you have the facilities and access to heat tool steel to a forging or welding temperature? It might help people to have an understanding of what equipment, conditions, and access to various types of steel you are working under.

Wherever you are.:D

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Glad you came aboard. There are the best of the best bladesmiths here so ask away if you have a ? and if you have an answer give that too. Thank you for your service to our country and may GOD keep you safe.

Shoot I once judged a sword made from a leaf spring a fellow had shot off a truck with his tank...Hofi makes drifts from the tungsten tank penetrators found in the israeli desert; you should have access to good stuff too...

Even if you can't get forge time you can spend some off hours reading up on things!

Welcome and THANKS!

Welcome and thankyou for your service.
It does not matter which branch of the military you serve for Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Gaurd, FBI, DEA, etc. etc., they are all equally important and nessecary and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and besides the Navy has one of if not the most elite and highly trained soldiers in the military, the Navy Seals, so no matter what it is you do in the Navy or any other branch of the service hold your head high and be proud because you still have all the love and support of your fellow americans...minus a few spinless, clueless and only informed by the media, individuales who think our boys are the enemy, but fear not they are still vastly out numbered.
If you want to learn blacksmithing or knife making you found the right place, some of the best in the world are members here and have great patients for us novice and beginer smiths.

welder19