I Forge Iron

Worth messing with?

I have two tools I am looking at acquiring.

First off- I would like to get a Beverly shear. I don't think I can afford a Beverly shear unless I can find an amazing deal on Ebay (or wherever). I've been looking at the various knock-offs on the web and wondering if they are even worth the trouble. I've seen reviews both ways but have never talked to anyone who had one to get a first hand impression. Has anyone on here worked with one?

Secondly, my Dad has an OLD lathe out on the farm. It's got the plate welded on top with a motor mounted on it like it had run from a steam shaft or the like. Currently it's disassembled with most of the pieces stored in a ratty lean-to with a couple of the larger parts outside. It

I wanna see that old lathe neighbor and I bet we can make it turn chips again as good as new. Just give me a yell and I about live in IFI chatroom. I am heading to an out-of-state hammerin in a few hrs and back home here probably on 14th. I am passing thru Effingham area on way back home. I left you a private messeage (PM) with my email address. Just email me and I could maybe email back my cell# and link up with you soon. Did I fail to mention that I just love machines, LOL Stan

Finnr: Did you have any trouble witht he original blades? I saw a couple of mentions that the originals were junk and to be prepared to instantly replace them. I'm interested in your experience with it.

trying-it:
I'll throw you an email. I'll have to get together with Dad and try to arrange getting it out now. Hopefully he remembers what boxes were parts to it and which ones went to the truck and tractors he has back there!

Kendrick, You would be wise to take FULL advantage of Stan's knowledge on Machines of this type. I don't think I know anyone else with a head full like he has. yea, there's a little of the usual bs up there too.;) I have a Beaverly #5 shear but haven't had it long enough to know what all I can do with it. Paid $75.00 for it, in excellent condition, just hoping it will pay for itself!

I have a plasma. I bought a Harbor Freight knock off. Works like Finnr said (handy pair of snips for pattern work on really light stuff). It will cut 14.

I looked for a beverly for LONG time. I now have a #2 beverly. the harbor freight is in the Threshers shop under the bench. It gets used for really light tin work or to cut poster board. The Beverly is here at home shop and is extremely handy for some issues that need sheared and stay soft (not have the plasma edge). Would love to have the #3 but am getting by very nicely. I also have a selection of left/right/straight hand shears (prosnip). As noted, take up Stan on the offer for sure.

Kendrick that lathe is absolutely worth messing with or absolutely *not* worth messing with depending on the type of stuff you do and if a lathe could help. For knifemaking it would be a great help to make fittings. For general ornamental iron work it might not be.

Asking us this question without giving details is pretty futile.

• 6 months later...