I Forge Iron

The Blacksmith Influence

cheftjcook

Forgive me, but I am only realizing how great an effect the Blacksmithand his trade as a Whole has had on the world. The more I read the more I am amazed by the roots, all the way back to Bible times, and the ripples still felt today. and what we owe to these forerunners as so many current proffessions have roots in blacksmithing or related to.

...I was thinking how even speech is effected.
It has even worked into common day cliches' or sayings
Like "pound it out" or "You've got to forge ahead"
and "Strike while the Iron is Hot"
I know there are more, What others can we come up with.

*A suggestion to those more learned
I think it would be great to see a thread on the dirrect/indirrect connections between blacksmiths of old and current proffessions such the "Smith and the Modern Machine shop" ..."the smith to the mechanic"..."the smith to the tool & Die Maker" or others that at first glance have no relationship.

A sense of heritage or historical influence and connection is good for the mind & soul. Like belonging to something greater than oneself... its humbling yet inspiring.

Anyway enough of my going on....
What other sayings can you come up with.....?
TIM

This is information from the book, not a religious discussion.

Adam, Cain, Enoch, Irad, Mehujael, Methushael, Lamech, and Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron.

Adam's 5th great grandson was the first blacksmith.

Ge 4:22
And as for Zillah, she also bore Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. And the sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.

My dad was a Tool and Die maker before he retired. He has been very pleased to see me start to get into blacksmithing. Last time I spoke to him about it he told me "Blacksmiths were the first tool and die makers!"

I wonder with how much playing with metal runs in the family. I have spoke with a number of smiths that are quick to point out that their grand dad was a smith as well.

My parents are both engineers. So for me growing up fabricated steel was hypothetical to me. I only knew them by the drawings they worked on...

Now being older and more able to grasp the "real world" I see the smith in every part of daily life. I am reminded a lot of thinking into some of these old tools, machinery, and buildings to see the smith there in the shadows creating opportunity for all other trades. From the saw that cut the tree, to the chain that pulled it from the forest, to the hammer and nails used to build the home. To the kitchen where meals were prepared using iron implements...This can go on, and on. The smith created the machines to create better machines that are faster and more accurate. It is hard for me to wrap my brain around the influences of the blacksmith from the bronze age up through the industrial revolution, and now. A trade of artistic contrast, rather than pure necessity.

I hope this does not make anyone "lose their temper", but I must "forge a head"!

Peyton

IMHO It only takes four people and their spouses to build a nation, a blacksmith, a millwright, a sawyer/woodsman and a farmer/stockman. Within these four signal groups all the fundementals of significant germinal society can be found. The spiritual elements are into a league of their own.

Of course, there is a deal of overlap as each does draw from the other from time to time. ;-)

When I was in college I recall a class about technology and the first day we watched a movie where they took it all back to the very beginning of society. According to them the one tool that allowed humans to move away from being the hunter gatherers was the plow. Once the first primitive wood plow was invented it made it possible for the first time that not everyone in the entire village or family had to spend all day every day trying to gather enough food to survive. Some could focus on other things, and one of the first things they did was try to figure out how to build a better plow and better digging instruments. It was this that led to using copper instead of wood for the plow and the rest is history. It was a never ending series of trying to make life better or easier that has brought us to this point.