I Forge Iron

Bernzomatic ts839

phillsuess

i would like to run on 20lb propane tanks.. i dont know if the jth7 does that.
should i try to return the burner, and just order the jth7 off amazon.com?

the zburner with the connection kit would give me good use from a 20 lb tank.. ~ 125$ . 350 cubic inch seems like more than i need.. just take it the extra space and be happy, or get something smaller that'll burn less fuel for a smaller space? i guess extra space makes for more even heating.

Edited by phillsuess

Avadon, Yeah, I'd like to market it but it ain't mine to market, it belongs to Zoeller Forge already and he'd come and get me if I went and did that. lol :cool: I was thinking more along the lines of the 5 gallon bucket forge for making small things. The mini forge is expensive to run and I heard that they weren't going to be selling MAPP gas in the future.

Edited by Bentiron1946

Coleman makes a straight adaptor that you can use to run the JTH7 off of a 20lb bottle. Less than $20 on Amazon as I recall. I've been using one in a little paint can forge i made a while back. Home depot has new 1gal. cans for about $5- put a fitting in the side to hold the torch and lined it with ceramic blanket coated with ITC 100 and put a chunk of firebrick in the bottom. Works great!- especially for small stuff. I stuck a digital thermometer probe in it after it was up to temp for about an hour and it said it was 1250 c on regular propane.

Cheers!-- Jim

15437.attach

Avadon, Yeah, I'd like to market it but it ain't mine to market, it belongs to Zoeller Forge already and he'd come and get me if I went and did that. lol :cool: I was thinking more along the lines of the 5 gallon bucket forge for making small things. The mini forge is expensive to run and I heard that they weren't going to be selling MAPP gas in the future.

He's not even selling them on his site. Besides no one owns the patent on building a small portable forge as there are already many small single burner forges. Mapp is cool stuff, but I bet a mini forge would guzzle it pretty quick. If I remember it doesn't take long with mapp before the tank gets really cold the flame is reduced quite a bit. A propane torch on a hose is probably a better setup.

Hi. These little propane hose torches work just fine in tiny forges. But, you have to be willing to experiment. A lot of the plans out there on the Internet are marginal, and they depend on upgrading to MAPP gas to make them work. MAPP needs less oxygen to burn, so torches used outside their applicable range which are choked by back pressure can function better than when run on propane.

For these tiny forges, it is good to run them with a more open chamber and compensate by cutting down the chamber volume. They will get good and hot though. I just used a mini-firebrick forge with a small Uniweld turbo hose torch running off a BBQ cylinder to fix a weld that was coming apart at the end of a taper. It was hot enough to get the flux into the bubbling and even to the crusting range.